MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Default WTF do people consider GOOD Barbecue?

Sorry I don't post here too much... But.

WTF do people consider GOOD Barbecue? AND WHY? What are BBQ joints selling? I mean maybe before I ASK the brethren, I should say why, Yesterday I cooked up a 10 lb Flat, USDA choice, I was unimpressed, I screwed up the weather report and my smoker stayed between 300 and 275... I thought I dried it out and it was tough by my standard. 185 internal after only 7 hours, no I don't foil, but I mean I GUESS I got the results I wanted, sorta, I usually go way low and slow on Brisket not kinda hot and pretty fast... the boys was like "bangin" "on point" "Incredible". IMO if I'da boxed it it would have been a contender in the worst box thread. Matter of fact I brought sauce that I whipped up cause I thought it sucked so bad, but they only put on sauce cause they liked the sauce and the meat was awesome without it?????.... What the heck... I understand that MOST people aren't used to competition quality Q, but they talk about local Q places I haven't hit in the same manner, I feel a LOT more apprehensive on trying them.. I also put 3 bare naked fatties up for grabs, Jamestown Hot Sausage I think. In all 7 dudes and 13 lbs of meat ( pre cooked) GONE by noon. Makes me feel a LOT less confident in my local BBQ joints. Guess I'll only check out the top ones with most reviews. I admit this isn't a Brisket area, but I KNOW I probably wouldn't have botched pulled pork that bad, I wonder if the review wouldn't have been the same?

this cook woulda been PrON worthy to show you HOW bad I thought it was almost and it knocked 'em dead? Somehow, that somewhat bothers me.

Is our national BBQ IQ too low?
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

We are our own worst critic. There are times at the restaurant that I don't feel what I make is tasting good, but everyone thinks it tastes great. Yes, most people have not had the competition BBQ and if that is what you are comparing it too, it is going to be tough to top that.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know how it is for BBQ in the VA Bch./Tidewater area now but when I lived there in the 80's the only good "Q" came off my pit. Most of the general population don't know the difference between Good and Bad BBQ. I never consider Comp Q to be good BBQ it's to busy. Simple seasoning Heat & Meat rules. I Cook all my briskets around 300 IMO the absolute best temp for most meats. YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY MIN PER POUND" Probe tender for brisket is the only reliable way to know when it is ready. Cook by feel!

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I am probably not my own worst critic. I like almost anything.

I rely on what those who I serve my 'Q to to let me know what think. I generally get very favorable reviews, but I do wonder if the other folks just have not had really good 'Q.

I can safely say that it is getting hard to find a restaurant that serves 'Q that I like as much as my own. SWMBO agrees, but we are both highly biased.

I'll probably never compete because I don't think I want to cook to someone else' standard. I cook for myself (which I suppose is a way of deluding myself. e.g. I wanted it that way. )

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
landarc

Be glad your guests enjoyed the food you made for them. Know that you can do better and push for that. Most folks know what they like, it may be awful to you, but, perfect to them. I never trust anyone else's opinion about food but my own, and a very select few oft friends. I think our national IQ on BBQ is fine, just far too varied.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
caseydog

Easy answer. Good BBQ is whatever me and my close friends enjoy eating.

Good eatin' is all that matters, no matter what anyone says.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
IamMadMan

You have to remember that many people do not have the passion for good "Q" and many have never tried to make real bbq.

To the those who have never experienced the taste of bbq from a true craftsman, even what we consider the worst of ours, will probably be the best they will ever have.

Many so called bbq restaurants put the emphasis on sauce as the only bbq factor, and forget about meat texture and flavor.

Be happy they enjoyed your "Q" and use what you consider to be "not your best" as a learning experience to make improvements on your next cook.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba

I wouldnt get overly excited.

People always rave about free food.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing I do is good enough for me. I always am picking apart my BBQ.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with several who have already responded. I am ALWAYS finding an area to improve with every cook I do. Whether its the sauce, rub, what I put in the foil when I wrap, how I trim/prep, etc. My wife will rave about whatever comes off the smoker - God bless her, but it's not much help when trying to find the extra inch of improvement. But, I do know this - I have fun every time I fire up the smoker. To me, that is MOST important. Enjoy the time spent with friends! Heck, I even look forward to the days I can spend outside by the smoker alone!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

most folks i know think BBQ is sauce on something......and ribs are mush.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

The best BBQ is served with lots of beer and in my backyard! Lol

Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

This is all you need right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spices.jpg (84.1 KB, 420 views)
Mrfish is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you pulled the brisket to early. 185* is usually a little low IMO. Did it probe like butter or still have resistence?

As far as your feeling about restaurant 'que, most is dissapointing...especially in your area.

Regarding comp quality 'que...have you done any contests yet to have a baseline to draw your opinion from?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Well, I'm glad they ate it hell they crushed it. I shouldn't have really expected much from that particular cook. I don't do enough briskets to really have a feel for them. It's a treat just to pull one outta the cryo and wrassle it for me. The fatties were good, but I'm gonna try another sausage brand next time too salty. But like I say if I'm firing up the pit to cook anything I throw a fatty or preferably 2 in there, so I got a feel for them.

I wasn't proud of my effort, but it did get the results. whether I would call it an "A" cook. I didn't hide the meat under sauce, it wasn't THAT bad.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote