• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Packer on the Yoder YS640

DENALI

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got a hold of a 12.5 lb Angus Choice packer from Sams Club. I trimmed it down the best i could and shaved the fat cap to 1/4" or a little less. I injected it with Kosmos brisket injection around noon (first time for this as well) then let it sit in the fridge until about 11:30 PM. I pulled it out then gave it a real lite coat of mustard to help hold the rub and hopefully promote a little more bark. I started the YS640 at about 11pm and set it for 180. At about 10 minutes after midnight i placed it on the lower grate, shoved a probe in it and closed the lid. Decided to do some cleanup after making a mess, opened the fridge to put the mustard away and seen the fat trimmings in a tub that i saved for no real reason. Decided what the heck it will either make it or break it so i put the second rack in place and distributed the fat trimmings above the brisket. Previously i had decided on fat side up but after doing some recent reading on the subject i decided to try this one fat cap down, with hesitation. I guess placing the fat trimmings above the brisket will help me get over it. I am prepared for a total failure since the whole shebang is new or new process, new smoker, first packer, first injection, fat cap down, first time using plowboys bovine bold, trimmings over brisket for drippings. We shall see! I plan to let it ride till morning then up the smoker temp to 225 degrees and go from there. I havent decided if when it comes time to wrap if i am going to foil it and add some beef broth or wrap it in butcher paper. I am torn on which way to go. I guess when it gets to about 160 i will flip a coin or ask my 7 year old. I will try to post pics as the cook progresses. Thanks

Trimmed Up and Injected with Kosmos Brisket Injection at noon.

brisk1.jpg

Slathered and rubbed at about 11:30 PM

brisk2.jpg

Placed in the YS640 at midnight set to 180 degrees

brisk3.jpg

Covered up with the fat trimmings

brisk4.jpg

Last edited:
nice start. .even with out the fat above, you will find a pool of juice sitting on top of the briskit...I cook a majority fat down, for comp 100% fat down...if you do not foil or paper, you will have a nicer, firmer bark...

I cooked half a dozen briskets or more at 225 with middling results (to internals always above 190, wrapped/unwrapped/rested/you name it).

I then cooked one at 285 or higher accidentally one time (UDS temps got away from me while I was woking), and I have never looked back. Don't mean to hi-jack - your cook looks amazing. And I know with pellet poopers, you gotta cook lower to get smoke...

On second thought, I'm totally sorry for the hi-jack.

:oops:

Enjoy your new cooker and keep us posted on the final output!

It looks good so far. One thing I found while cooking at lower temperatures on a pellet grill is that I like to pretty much cut all of the fat cap off. It just doesn't render out that well which is probably why people tend to cook them at 275 or hotter.

Just a little bit of an update. At 7:30 this morning the IT was 147 degrees and I upped the yoder to 225. Currently, 10:20, it is at 165 IT so i need to decide pretty quick on my wrapping decision. I didnt take any pics yet this morning as if you are looking you aint cooking but i will take pics when i wrap/decide to wrap/decide to wrap in what.

Updated pics. I decide to wrap it in foil this time. I pulled it off around 11:20 when it was at 167 IT and brought it in and wrapped it. It looks really good, i think adding the trimmings above the brisket contributed to the bark a good bit and hopefully the moisture. Wont know if it truly worked out until its time to dig in. I also added one can of campbells beef broth when i foiled it.
The only thing i am wondering/worrying about at this point is that it hasnt seened to hit a stall yet and its right at noon and the IT on two different probes is showing 190 and 194. So i dont know what to think about that other than i just wasnt paying attention when it hit the wall and it might have pushed right on through it really quickly.

This is what it looked like when i pulled it to wrap it at 167 IT. The fat trimmings rendered down nicely. I think if a person didnt want to wrap at all through the whole cook this would even be more beneficial as they continue to render.
brisk5.jpg

Here it is before wrapping.
brisk6.jpg

And wrapped and back on the YS640
brisk7.jpg

Last edited:
The dang thing says 208 in the thickest part of the flat. Still not totally probe tender...... worried its going to be overdone..........must resist urge to pull it off and toss it in the cooler....maybe another 30 mins and i will say uncle. I believe i will go ahead and remove the point when i let it vent and make some burnt ends out of it. Was going to save it for chilli or the next batch of beans but i want to let the housedragon try some burnt ends.

I know the feeling....................it ain't probe tender yet?????????? :bored:

I pulled it off at 3:00 and the maverik said 209. Good news is it finally probed without resistance......probed like butter...... bad news is i think it was clarified butter. I am afraid its a tad bit over and now pushing pot roast texture judging by the way the point sliced and cubed so i am worried about the end result on the flat, time will tell. I will say that the moisture content of the point was out of this world. Extremely juicy, more so than i have ever had in the past. Anyhow I let the flat vent for 10-12 minutes then rewrapped it in double layered heavy foil and tossed it in the pre warmed cooler with some towels. It will remain there until its time to eat, 5 or 6 pm so until then so that will be a 2-3 hour rest. Below are a few more pics.

As it came off the Yoder and unwrapped

brisk8.jpg

Here is the point separated

brisk9.jpg

Here is the point sliced about an inch thick
brisk10.jpg

The point, photo taken from the opposite end

brisk11.jpg

The point all cubed up, notice it stranding a bit
brisk12.jpg

The cubed point with some extra Bovine Bold and some KC style sauce before tossing together and getting back on the yoder to set the sauce

brisk13.jpg

Well as it turns out, i didn't need to be worried. This thing turned out incredible! I can't complain! The flat was perfect! Tender but not to tender like i feared, super moist with really good flavor. Only complaint i have about it is the damn bread knife i used to slice it with. I just couldn't slice it properly for the life of me and although i tried to make pencil thickness slices i just couldn't gauge it correctly and they were all to thick. Time to invest in a good slicing knife and a pair of glasses. Anyhow here are the pictures of the flat. Thanks again for all the compliments!

brisk14.jpg

brisk15.jpg

brisk16.jpg

brisk17.jpg

brisk18.jpg

Back