MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Trawlerdog
Knows what a fatty is.

Default I nailed the pastrami last Sunday.

Wanting to try my hand at making some pastrami I thought I'd start with a corned brisket from Hy-Vee and go from there.
Soaked, rinsed, soaked rinsed to get the salt out then packed in a pepper, juniper berry, rub for a couple of days in the fridge.
Sunday I threw in the NB with some other stuff.
Left it on the 'cooler' side and took the internal temps up to around 180 then packed it up in butcher paper and let it rest for couple of hours.
After cooling in the fridge over night and I sliced it up.

I nailed it.
[B]New Braunfels El Dorado[/B] USA, [B][COLOR=Sienna]The BEAST [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=Black]whole hog rotisserie, Weber Smokey Joe, [/COLOR][B][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]The M[/SIZE]ini Be[SIZE=1]ast [/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2], [B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=2]Thermapen, [/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Maverick ET732, 100 acres of Hickory and Oak hardwoods.
Magma Catalina gasser on the boat.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][I]You can't always be young, but you can always be immature.[/I][/B]
Trawlerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, that looks really nice. I would like to try my hand at making pastrami some day but have never gotten the nerve up to spend the cash on the stuff to make it.

Great photo as well... Must warn you though, with the title of this thread you should be prepared for the possibility that this train may be on the way to derailment. LOL

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Did you steam it afterwards to warm up? I think I remember somewhere people saying the steaming is pretty key. Also I've found BBQ places that make their own pastrami without steaming to be overly salty.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

It looks the business, how did it taste?
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks great!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

looks great! I'd also like to know more about the steaming if anyone has any info. So why did you pull it at 180 instead of running it up to butter probe consistency?
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Sub-80
On the road to being a farker

Awesome looking Pastrami! Ever since I visited Katz's deli I've wanted to make my own pastrami...this fuels that desire...well done!
Sub-80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Looks great, feel free to send me so for sampling!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
Did you steam it afterwards to warm up? I think I remember somewhere people saying the steaming is pretty key. Also I've found BBQ places that make their own pastrami without steaming to be overly salty.
I highly recommend steaming after slicing, in addition to using a circular slicer for nice thin deli style slices.

Here's a link to my most recent pastrami cook that details the steaming and slicing:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140226
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Trawlerdog
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
I did not steam it but did double wrap it in butcher paper and packed in a cooler with a large pork butt and chuck that I had smoked. I'm sure that helped.
[B]New Braunfels El Dorado[/B] USA, [B][COLOR=Sienna]The BEAST [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=Black]whole hog rotisserie, Weber Smokey Joe, [/COLOR][B][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]The M[/SIZE]ini Be[SIZE=1]ast [/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2], [B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=2]Thermapen, [/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Maverick ET732, 100 acres of Hickory and Oak hardwoods.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][I]You can't always be young, but you can always be immature.[/I][/B]

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Trawlerdog
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfish View Post
It looks the business, how did it taste?

Great! At least to me and the wife.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Trawlerdog
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammmed View Post
looks great! I'd also like to know more about the steaming if anyone has any info. So why did you pull it at 180 instead of running it up to butter probe consistency?
I was fighting the wind on Sunday and having some difficulty keep the temps up on the 'cool side' of the NB. The brisket was actually in the smoker for about 8 hours and probing tender to the touch at the end even though the interior temps never got over 180. I finally said 'enuf' and pulled it.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Trawlerdog
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I highly recommend steaming after slicing, in addition to using a circular slicer for nice thin deli style slices.

Here's a link to my most recent pastrami cook that details the steaming and slicing:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140226
Wow! Yours looks great. Thanks for the link. Mine went right to the Food Saver in portions and into the freezer for another day. I'll steam it before serving.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

You certainally did I loved the Pastrami that I did
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Sweet! Looks delicious.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote