MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Shotgun smokers
Full Fledged Farker

Default How much meat can I get on WSM?

I just bought a WSM 22.5 and I was curious to see how much meat I could fit on there. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend at the coast and I have all the meat purchased, I just need to have an idea about how many times Im going to do it. Is it realistic to fit two butts and 2 briskets on there? The briskets are both 12 lbs and the pork butts are about 7 lbs. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!

Backwoods Piglet on a Trailer
Traeger 070
WSM 22.5
[COLOR=Blue]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
Shotgun smokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

It kind of depends on how creative you are.
I have 18.5 WSMs, and when I have a big cook, I have gotten 6 butts to a WSM. You might be able to fit a but and brisket on each rack.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I have the 22.5 WSM and you can get both butts and briskets on it. I would put 1 butt and 1 brisket on each rack. Put the briskets on one side of rack and butts on the other side that way your brisket drips on the other brisket on lower rack.
hcj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I know how much meat you can get on a MM 3000, which is roughly 7 - 8 miles from you.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Shotgun smokers
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: How much meat can I get on WSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque
I know how much meat you can get on a MM 3000, which is roughly 7 - 8 miles from you.
You want to go to the coast this weekend for a helping hand? ;)

Backwoods Piglet on a Trailer
Traeger 070
WSM 22.5
[COLOR=Blue]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
Shotgun smokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Ohly Smokes
Found some matches.

Easy to get at least 6 butts on my 18.5 - I think the brisket will be a little tricky though. Unless you combine brisket and butts on each level which could work...Probably one butt and one brisket per level.
Ohly Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun smokers View Post
I just bought a WSM 22.5 and I was curious to see how much meat I could fit on there. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend at the coast and I have all the meat purchased, I just need to have an idea about how many times Im going to do it. Is it realistic to fit two butts and 2 briskets on there? The briskets are both 12 lbs and the pork butts are about 7 lbs. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!
I can't imagine you will have any issue at all because on an 18.5" WSM you can easily do one brisket (top shelf) and two butts (bottom shelf). A 22" is substantially more space.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

You will EASILY fit 2 butts and 2 packers on a WSM 22.5.

I would put one of each on each grate.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Agreed, 2 butts and 2 briskets will be fine which I have done many times. I would recommend putting a butt and brisket on each rack for better air flow. If you put both briskets on 1 rack, you will have very limited airflow which will effect your temps. If you don't have enough space for the air to flow, you will have a tough time getting the temp up.
Ryan Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
Agreed, 2 butts and 2 briskets will be fine which I have done many times. I would recommend putting a butt and brisket on each rack for better air flow. If you put both briskets on 1 rack, you will have very limited airflow which will effect your temps. If you don't have enough space for the air to flow, you will have a tough time getting the temp up.
I also like to put some foil under the briskets where the ends run up to the edge. I do this to keep the ends from burning because the heat from the fire will be blasting upward. The technique works great for me.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote