Knife Expert?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey,

Anybody out there own way too many knives? High end, low end and everything in between?

We are looking to have an article on knives in Smoke Signals.

If you'd be interested in contributing, we'd love to hear from you.

Eric

QuietOne has probably forgotten more about knife sharpening than I'll learn in a lifetime, hopefully he can chip in.
Monty3777 has also posted quite a bit on knife sharpening, and written about it on his blog.

I would be in the category of too many knives, but, I don't write about them as well as Monty.

I am culling my list down and down in the last year and a bit. I'm down now to where I only own maybe 30. But I know some people that own LOTS.

What can I tell you about knives you don't already know? The sharp part cuts. Dull knives cause more accidents than sharp ones. Sharp knives when they cut don't hurt as bad and they heal faster with less scaring. When you hit the heel of the knife handle on the counter and the knife does a spinning back flip, whatever you do, do NOT try to catch it on the way down. Not once, not twice, and certainly not 3 times. (DO NOT ASK how I know this) Foot work is important! be prepared to move your feet. Dogs, small children and cats are NOT allowed in the kitchen when using the SHARP stuff like the - 270mm Gyuto the 310 or the 190mm Santoku. Bigger knives beat out small knives in most situations. A 6 inch Chef's knife make a better peeler than a paring knife. For the money an Old Hickory 8 inch chefs knife is the best bargain in the world at 10$ even after you pay 30$ to have it hardened to 65RC and put the scales back on it. A turism of knives is that a falling knife only lands on the tip when your foot is there or a ceramic tile floor. Otherwise it falls harmlessly on it's spine. Never fool around with the wife of the chef that only owns 3 knives, he knows how to handle each one.

I know a bit of other stuff to but I think that covers the main parts

Back