MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #361
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqstork View Post
Cooldude24- appreciate the comparison to PayPal which is why I only give them my CC ($50 liability limit). I would ask you to consider this. Give me your IP address, and an ID and password to a device inside your home and it opens a door for me to access any device on your home network and take whatever information I want. Not saying that's what these guys are trying to do, but it opens a big whole for one unscrupulous person. It really sucks because I liked the layout of the app. Just don't like the sharing of that kind of information.
So are you saying that you have your Guru turned on 24/7/365 and are using the same username and password to access it as you use across other sites and platforms?

I'm an IT security expert. If you're concerned about security I'd be happy to chat.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #362
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
So are you saying that you have your Guru turned on 24/7/365 and are using the same username and password to access it as you use across other sites and platforms?

I'm an IT security expert. If you're concerned about security I'd be happy to chat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #363
cooldude24
Found some matches.

BBQ Stork,

I totally agree about PayPal!! But there are other ways of securing that ip address and port. You could lock it down by mac address and ip range etc yada yada yada.... To each is own...

I have been doing some beta testing for them in the past and I am fairly sure that after reading your post about your concerns they will include an option to not have the ip address and port not stored. I also second your request to have that option, I seen in some previous post about emailing any comments or concerns to them directly. I will send them an email tonight and see if I get any response. Maybe they can include it in the next version.

Not going to take sides but calling the app a "Complete Failure" is also not a good way to provide feedback. Maybe is was rough Friday for appdesigngeeks.

Anyways lets drink some beer and throw some pork on the smoker this weekend!!!
cooldude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #364
Mccaf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal View Post
note: If you are mid-cook and pretty sauced, don't bother trying to set this up. Wait for the next one. :-d
Lmao!

<j/k>
Mccaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #365
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imott View Post
Can't install on my Nexus 7. Play Store says "This app is incompatible with your Nexus 7"
Hi Imott,

I found a bug with that is related to Nexus 7 cameras. I will be uploading a new version to Google Play today.

Do you have a Android phone?

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #366
cowger
Found some matches.

I downloaded the iPhone app and it's working great!!! Can't wait to cook with this -- a huge upgrade, IMO.

I'd have happily purchased this, and I really appreciate all the work that has gone into this. Nice job!

Bryan
cowger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #367
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude24 View Post
Not going to take sides but calling the app a "Complete Failure" is also not a good way to provide feedback. Maybe is was rough Friday for appdesigngeeks.
Sure sounds like taking sides to me.

If you go back and read the posts, I didn't call the app a complete failure. It worked with a couple of issues when I had an internet connection. I was specifically referring to the scenario when an internet connection was not available. I provided detailed feedback but when I have to force the process closed to get control of my device, to me that's a failure.

Appdesigngeeks and I exchanged e-mails yesterday and I agreed to test the next version and post my results. If the results change I'll be the fisrt to give them accolades.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #368
Mccaf

Appgeeks... I have some observations and critique. Do you want email, PM, or post? All good, but some areas need updates or attention. I am in the middle of a live smoke and at work. Got connected, and is working!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #369
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Hi Mccaf,

Please email us your observations and critique with any screenshots that might be helpful to [email protected]. Thats great you got connected with the app.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #370
imott

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigngeeks View Post
Hi Imott,

I found a bug with that is related to Nexus 7 cameras. I will be uploading a new version to Google Play today.

Do you have a Android phone?

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks
Nope. iPhone and Nexus 7 tablet.
imott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #371
mroutdoorcooking
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi people,

I am as new to the forum as am I to the Cyber Q Wifi...I ordered mine last week and I am awaiting the pretty little thing...

BUT...I am a developer for iOS and created some great apps already! So...thank you so much for the research on this specific topic. Is there anybody willing and able to support in designing an compelling front end for a universal iOS app based on the iOS 7 specifications? Of course the app will be AWESUM and ASS KICKING for hardcore nerdy-grilling-pitmastering-uhh.....well...smartphone owners most likely :P

Happy to hear from you...I'll start the technical work as soon as it is evident how the user interface should work to help us Q'ers in our grilling journeys :D
mroutdoorcooking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #372
Mccaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutdoorcooking View Post
Hi people,

I am as new to the forum as am I to the Cyber Q Wifi...I ordered mine last week and I am awaiting the pretty little thing...

BUT...I am a developer for iOS and created some great apps already! So...thank you so much for the research on this specific topic. Is there anybody willing and able to support in designing an compelling front end for a universal iOS app based on the iOS 7 specifications? Of course the app will be AWESUM and ASS KICKING for hardcore nerdy-grilling-pitmastering-uhh.....well...smartphone owners most likely :P

Happy to hear from you...I'll start the technical work as soon as it is evident how the user interface should work to help us Q'ers in our grilling journeys :D
I could be pretty happy with the app made from appdesign geeks. Especially, it's free to download. They responded with an 8-point laundry list of issues I sent them, and they promised updates on the next version. As well as , Ron_L working it from the ad-hoc end with certain requirements and capabilities. My next barrage is to them is the UI. Seems like the info is there, looks good, but personally I think it needs some little tweaks. When on a live cook and trying to watch the iPad from 10` away or on the road, I can't see some important readings.

I'm not sure how much time you are willing to invest. Personally, if you got The time I got the money to buy a copy. But, between the clunky UI from BBQ Guru and the very improved version from appdesigngeeks I am happy. It serves it purpose. After all, what more could you want to control your PIT when you are out and about-or across the country? This is the schnitz of technology! I all else fails when they introduce iOS-Siete, I will be depending on someone else's money to send you for a new development.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #373
supercazzola
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post

My concern is that the software displays everything (passwords) in plain text. In addition, it collected my wifi username and password (again in plain text).
Why an app needs that info when the o/s maintains that is beyond me.
Free or not, I'm going to be changing my home network password and saying hasta la vista to the app, as much as it saddens me.

If there comes a time that I didn't need to store info on their server (which we know nothing about the security of) and /or the app (which should only require info like Internal /external IP address and ports (and maybe user/pass for guru), I may reconsider.

Sometimes free isn't free, especially when some hacker could grab their database and have a field day with our identities.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #374
supercazzola
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutdoorcooking View Post
Hi people,

PM sent.

if you have the chance to check out the user interface for the iGrill app, it's kind of cool - and may be a place to start. there's a few things I want them to change, but they don't listen worth a crap.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #375
mc1z
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercazzola View Post
My concern is that the software displays everything (passwords) in plain text. In addition, it collected my wifi username and password (again in plain text).
Why an app needs that info when the o/s maintains that is beyond me.
Free or not, I'm going to be changing my home network password and saying hasta la vista to the app, as much as it saddens me.

If there comes a time that I didn't need to store info on their server (which we know nothing about the security of) and /or the app (which should only require info like Internal /external IP address and ports (and maybe user/pass for guru), I may reconsider.

Sometimes free isn't free, especially when some hacker could grab their database and have a field day with our identities.
Why couldn't you set up a special SSID for it, and only allow the specific IP/port combinations the BBQGURU needs? Most wireless routers and access points these days allow multiple SSIDs...
mc1z is offline   Reply With Quote