MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

The main thing with drilling stainless(or any steel)is to match drill diameter to the speed it's turning.The larger the drill bit or harder the steel the slower the rpm the drill bit is turning.More important than lube is KEEP THE BIT COOL.Just plain water will work the best.

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

On my stainless steel build i started with a 1" step bit...the big ones dig into it. After it digs into it and it starts to punch through switch to the smaller bits. I used dish soap as a lube.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Have fun
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I could be wrong, but that 80 qt pot is ALOT thinner than any S.S. drum your going to find. That is why I mentioned it. It can be done, but for the amount of holes for that smoker kit, it is a lot more work than a steel drum. And if the S.S. drum is 9mm thick, she is really in for a battle. Unibits are not really made for going thru quality S.S. Some of the lower grade stainless has a lot of carbon in it and much easier to work on. Just sayin.
My pot is 1mm stainless but even if a step bit won't work that one that Wampus used will. The only thing that made mine difficult was that it was polished...slippery stuff

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Look at Wampus's material. Not a quality stainless. It has alot of rust he did not remove, quality stainless will not rust, no carbon. But what do I know.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Look at Wampus's material. Not a quality stainless. It has alot of rust he did not remove, quality stainless will not rust, no carbon. But what do I know.
Don't take this personally bro. We just disagree is all.

I'm no expert on materials or what's quality or not quality stainless steel.
I will say that the chimney starter I built about 3 years ago has been sitting outside with my other chimney starter since the day it was created and to this day it's never rusted a bit. I don't see what you're calling rust in the photos I posted really either.

Now, the expanded metal at the bottom of the chimney is NOT stainless and it does have some surface rust on it.

I will defer to your apparently more complete knowledge of metals and materials than mine. I got the thing from a buddy who got it from where he works (at a large pharmaceutical company in Indy) and it was used to carry purified water in and was stainless steel. No idea if it's high quality or not. I do know that it hasn't rusted. All I know is I got both it and my SS drum from the same buddy and we cut a chit ton of holes in both with a step bit or unibit.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Yep no problem,

Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

I found putting a seal around the top of the drum helped. I bought it from bbqgaskets.com. I love my drum and the flavor of the Q it produces. You want to have somebody around to help putting it together.

Enjoy,

Big Pappa UDS
Lang 48 Deluxe
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef24 View Post
You want to have somebody around to help putting it together.
Okay, although I did my 30 gallon UDS without any help at home :)

Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #25
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Okay, although I did my 30 gallon UDS without any help at home :)
LOL, a little different when you're trying to attach those bottom vents by yourself.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
LOL, a little different when you're trying to attach those bottom vents by yourself.
I put sliding vents on mine

The way I did it myself was: I held it in place, and marked one dot through drill hole with sharpie onto the drum for first screw. I then drilled that out. Then screwed that one in--the screw now held the vent somewhat in place. Then I marked the second hole and unscrewed it all, then drilled it and put it back on. Screwed in both screws and marked the third hole, and so forth, until all done. Then I drilled the hole through my vent and drum with the vent in place.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #27
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I put sliding vents on mine

The way I did it myself was placed it, put one dot through drill hole with sharpie onto the drum for first screw. Drilled that out. Then screwed that one in holding the vent somewhat in place. Then I mark the second hole.. unscrew it all, drill it put it back on.. screw both screws in and mark the next one, and so forth, until all done. Then I drilled the hole through my vent and drum with the vent in place.
These vents are a different animal. You'll want a helping hand...trust me.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

I think the point is that a 55 gallon drum is taller than a 30 gallon drum. It is a bit of a stretch to get the nut on the bolt on those bottom vents.
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman0321 View Post
I think the point is that a 55 gallon drum is taller than a 30 gallon drum. It is a bit of a stretch to get the nut on the bolt on those bottom vents.
Yes and the vents are hard to mold and get into place.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

Especially if you have silicon on them...a wet paper towel nearby will help clean that up if you smudge it a little.
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote