MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Default Resting beef and pork

I see a lot of comments here about resting meats coming out of the smoker. I usually rest between half an hour to an hour in my oven at 170 degrees after I pull them. Does everyone rest them under heat, or in foil, or just rest on the platter prior to pulling/carving? Just curious, I want to make sure I'm not missing any tricks.
ATLSean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Two different things here... resting and holding. I always think you should rest to let juices redistribute and for the muscle to relax. Different times for different cuts and different prep methods. Holding implies an extended period of time holding temp for serving later. 170 is a bit high to rest or hold IMO (around 140 will avoid a lot of extra cooking and still keep the meat safe). I prefer to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for either rest or hold but if just a rest I will often just foil it without the cooler.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Billy, any place to find those resting times or just experience trying them?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
sliding_billy

The search engine is your friend. Not sure if there is a "list." Trial and error as well as time need is the best method. A minimum of 1/2 hour for any decent sized cut of meat (butt, brisket, etc) but I like at least an hour. The hotter you cook, the longer it takes to relax and moisten up, so plan accordingly. As for holding, I have held butts for up to 6 hours and briskets (full packers) for up to 4. If holding for a long time, I like to pull a little bit earlier than if not to avoid the meat getting mushy.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the great info, sir! Much appreciated.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Bludawg

The longer the rest the better the end result. I stopped using a cooler about a year ago I let it rest on the counter for a few hrs and slowly cool down into the 150's the result is better texture and a moister end product. As it cools the fibers relax and the gelatin lays in between them making it moist. If I need to hold past two hrs at that time I will put in in a low oven to keep it warm or a preheated cooler. Holding in a cooler or a low oven straight from the smoker it will continue to cook and the gelatin will still be runny ending up on the board or all over you hands not locked in the meat leaving you a dryer product. Also with a brisket never slice more than you can eat. slices will dry up because there is more surface area. I cringe everytime I see a brisket post and the whole thing is carved up it always looks dry.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Bludawg!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Also with a brisket never slice more than you can eat. slices will dry up because there is more surface area. I cringe everytime I see a brisket post and the whole thing is carved up it always looks dry.
+ 1 here. My guests always think I am being stingy when I only slice a small plate to place on the table. I have to educate them by telling them that I have the whole brisket available to eat, but don't want it to dry out before they are ready for 2nds or 3rds. Plus if I any left over I would rather it be a solid piece of meat instead of slices left over.

Blessings,
Omar

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Also with a brisket never slice more than you can eat. slices will dry up because there is more surface area. I cringe everytime I see a brisket post and the whole thing is carved up it always looks dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
+ 1 here. My guests always think I am being stingy when I only slice a small plate to place on the table. I have to educate them by telling them that I have the whole brisket available to eat, but don't want it to dry out before they are ready for 2nds or 3rds. Plus if I any left over I would rather it be a solid piece of meat instead of slices left over.

Blessings,
Omar
Good tip, guys! Thanks!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
JimF
Knows what a fatty is.

Rest BEFORE pulling.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

If you "hold" in an oven what temp do you usually set the oven at?

Have been able to hold butts pretty well by doing the foil, towel, cooler method but that strategy didn't turn out too well when I did brisket two weeks ago since I had to hold it longer than what I wanted.
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
sliding_billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
If you "hold" in an oven what temp do you usually set the oven at?

Have been able to hold butts pretty well by doing the foil, towel, cooler method but that strategy didn't turn out too well when I did brisket two weeks ago since I had to hold it longer than what I wanted.
The couple of times I have held in the oven, I have done it at around 140 in foil. I say around because my oven won't go that low so I set it to 250, put a pit probe in and crack the door to get as close as I can.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
The couple of times I have held in the oven, I have done it at around 140 in foil. I say around because my oven won't go that low so I set it to 250, put a pit probe in and crack the door to get as close as I can.
I hope you only do this in the winter! We do our best to not even turn our oven on in the summer, much less let it pump heat freely into the house. Glad our electric stove can be set to ~150°F :D

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
sliding_billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
I hope you only do this in the winter! We do our best to not even turn our oven on in the summer, much less let it pump heat freely into the house. Glad our electric stove can be set to ~150°F :D
For sure. If I needed 140 in the summer, I could just put it in foil on my back patio most days.

P.S. Love your Avatar, and I just moved from Denton County a few months ago.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
For sure. If I needed 140 in the summer, I could just put it in foil on my back patio most days.

P.S. Love your Avatar, and I just moved from Denton County a few months ago.
Thanks! That pic was taken almost a year ago now. Kiddo was 5 months old and is 15 months tomorrow.

My wife's old boss lives out in Princeton and we were there about a month ago. He lives in the little lake community there on the south side of 380.