Season Burgers Before Freezing?

kc27

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am going to freeze some 80% lean 20% fat ground chuck as burger patties. Out of habit, I never season burgers before freezing them. I am thinking I would like to do this differently so I end up with a pre-seasoned burger that can go from the freezer to the grill. Does anybody pre-season burgers before freezing them? If so, what is your method/recipe? Thanks.

I think seasoning hamburger patties then freezing makes them tighten up, which is not totally bad.... but I can't make a good smash burger with seasoned and frozen patties. They have sort of a different chew also. My drill is to form them, then set on oiled wax paper on a tray and par-freeze, then vacuum seal or wrap in butcher paper. This helps them keep their shape.

What do you use for a mold? One option is using a plastic lid. The patties still need some light work, but the thickness and shape will all be the same.

xPebDMQ.jpg

VlRta5r.jpg

MQw6NWP.jpg

dafnKZb.jpg

I’ve thought about it, but decided the added salt would slow down the freezing process and create larger ice crystals resulting in more moisture loss. Never tested the theory, but now’s your chance! Do a test on one patty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will sometimes do chicken breast in like Italian dressing but, that's it. Lately, for smash burgers, we have been forming the burger into balls as to throw on the Blackstone. Turns out great

I am going to pre-season, freeze and see what happens. After I made my initial post, I did an internet search and found multiple freeze-ahead burger recipes, so it must work for some people. Several of the recipes had seasoning mixed into the ground beef and most included salt. I thought salt mixed into ground beef was to be avoided because it resulted in a dry burger. Maybe drying is not an issue if the burger patties are frozen right away, then go right from the freezer to the grill.

roll out smashburgers in parchment (before freezing). you're still gonna want to smash it for good caramelization, but that's the same as raw (when rolling/pre-smashing like that)

Any restaurant I've ever worked at that froze their burgers, we did so after seasoning the whole batch, not just salt.

Trial a couple yourself and see if you notice much difference.

Back