MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comp Power

I have a Yoder ys640. I ran it off comp provided power last season. I had no problem with that except at the Sam's Regional, where the awesome guys from Spruce Ridge Smokers lent us their generator. I am thinking of getting a generator for the upcoming season. I have been looking at the Honda 2000i but I wonder if the 1000i is enough. Or if you guys have another type you recommend. As always trying to do it on the allowed "hobby" budget.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I know nothing about these things, but it seems like for the extra $200-$300 between the 1000 and the 2000, you get twice the available wattage. I'd definitely go with the bigger generator in this case.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Are you planning on powering anything besides the Yoder? If so, go bigger if the budget can handle it. It adds up quickly. Here is a chart with typical power consumption for some common stuff.

If all you are powering is the Yoder, then even the 1000 is overkill. Take a look at the Yoder specs, but most pellet cookers use about 400W for the first 5 minutes (while the igniter is on) and then less than 100W after that. You can power it off of a marine battery and inverter easily. I use an inverter with a built in transfer switch so that it passes the provided power through when it is available, and if it fails it switched to the battery. It also charges the battery when power is available.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We used a Yamaha 1000is for two seasons but realized it was just not enough power for a coffee pot or small heater. We now have a Honda 2000i and are happy campers!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Listen to what JD says. The EU1000i will handle 7.5a and the EU2000i 13.3a.

My cheap coffee pot from wally world pulls 8 amps!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd rather have too much power than not enough. To me a 1,000 watt generator won't be enough to handle what you're going to bring in the future.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

Get the 2000. If you ever get an RV or BBQ trailer and don't have an onboard generator you can add a second 2000 and power it.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

All good advice. I picked up a 2000 for the occasional comp but primarily for house emergency backup. Fridge and furnace are now good to go!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
Listen to what JD says. The EU1000i will handle 7.5a and the EU2000i 13.3a.

My cheap coffee pot from wally world pulls 8 amps!
During the igniter cycle the YS640 draws 11 Amps of current. Once the igniter is off and the current draw drops to 1.2 Amps.

11 amps = 1320W during ignition
1.2 amps = 144W continuous draw

The 1000i is not enough power to support the YS640 upon ignition.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSmoke View Post
I have a Yoder ys640. I ran it off comp provided power last season. I had no problem with that except at the Sam's Regional, where the awesome guys from Spruce Ridge Smokers lent us their generator. I am thinking of getting a generator for the upcoming season. I have been looking at the Honda 2000i but I wonder if the 1000i is enough. Or if you guys have another type you recommend. As always trying to do it on the allowed "hobby" budget.
You have to realize that the 1000 does not produce 1000 watts (well, peak for a few minutes it does) but 900 watts. I have 2 eu2000 gennys. I bought the first one thinking I would never need more than that, but once you have your own power you find yourself wanting to plug more stuff in, and now I have 2. Plus it is useful to run a fridge and a few other things in an emergency like I did during Sandy.

I would go for the eu2000.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
During the igniter cycle the YS640 draws 11 Amps of current. Once the igniter is off and the current draw drops to 1.2 Amps.

11 amps = 1320W during ignition
1.2 amps = 144W continuous draw

The 1000i is not enough power to support the YS640 upon ignition.
Holy chit! What are they using for an igniter? An arc welder? And what are they running after that? My FEC-100 and Memphis Pro draw just under 400W with the igniter on and 50W continuous after that, and that runs the auger, fan(s) and the controller.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

While Im with the guys on bigger is better ... if you are working on a budget.
Check your rental shops, many of them are carring the Honda or Yamaha gen's now.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

If you are only going to power the cooker you might want to consider a deep cycle battery and an inverter. You can probably save 1/3-1/3 the price of a Honda generator.

I bought a Champion 2000W they were selling for under $500 at Sam's a couple of years ago and it works fairly well. The carb gets fouled fairly easily but other than that it has powered up my 640 and FEC 100 for extended periods, no problem

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Holy chit! What are they using for an igniter? An arc welder? And what are they running after that? My FEC-100 and Memphis Pro draw just under 400W with the igniter on and 50W continuous after that, and that runs the auger, fan(s) and the controller.
No idea. I don't make the specs, just reporting them. As far as I can tell, after ignition it is running the auger, controller, and two pretty high powered fans. FWIW, the YS640 is a great unit. Produced great pork and pretty good chicken this past year.

Pork -- 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 6th, 8th, 14th, 26th. (scores from 149-174)

Chicken -- 2nd, 2nd, 8th, 11th, 15th, 17th, 22nd, 29th (scores from 153-172)
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Don't forget to buy the proper gauge extension cord if the generator is not near the cooker. You may want to bump up to the 14 gauge cord because of the initial amp draw. 16 gauge cords aren't rated for that.