MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
smoker jayson
On the road to being a farker

Default Rib issue

So I had a frozen st.louis style rack in the freezer Saturday so I took them out and thawed them over night. I lit the grill , prepped the ribs and put them on at 12:00 on the dot. I usually do the 3-2-1 method so three hrs in I pull them put some apple jelly on them and wrap them in the foil. Temp is steady at 270 the entire cook. At 5 I go to pull them so I can sauce them up for the final hour....... And when I go to lift them they just fall apart tender as a babies butt. I didn't do anything different besides the ribs were frozen and the apple jelly. Can someone shed some light to as what I might have done wrong

Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
jmoney7269
Banned

They could have been smaller ribs. Also are you doing 321 @270-275, if so that's way too much foil time. Are you taking readings from the grate or dome temp? Cooking In that temp range, 4 hrs is the max you need. 30-45 min max in foil
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Smokeoholic
Full Fledged Farker

Wish i could help Smoker J, fact is i can't imagine cooking st.louis ribs
for 5-6 hour's @ 270 the entire cook..sound's like it's worked for you though.

As alway's just my
Smokeoholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I'm thinking you just over cooked them. I did a St. Louis style rack yesterday on the uds. I do the bend test, so I don't pay much attention to time. But it was a good 4-4.5 hrs. with no foiling. In my opinion, 5 hrs, 2 of that being foiled, is too much. :)

Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

And, sadly, herein lies the folly of using time for anything other than a rough guideline.

Sorry,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

"PatioDaddio" nailed it.
BBQ is an art, I get touchy feely with my meat (another Wood Pile straight line).
For ribs, a toothpick is a good thing.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

270 for 5 hrs = over cooked without wrapping they would have been perfect between 3-4 hrs

Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker jayson View Post
So I had a frozen st.louis style rack in the freezer Saturday so I took them out and thawed them over night. I lit the grill , prepped the ribs and put them on at 12:00 on the dot. I usually do the 3-2-1 method so three hrs in I pull them put some apple jelly on them and wrap them in the foil. Temp is steady at 270 the entire cook. At 5 I go to pull them so I can sauce them up for the final hour....... And when I go to lift them they just fall apart tender as a babies butt. I didn't do anything different besides the ribs were frozen and the apple jelly. Can someone shed some light to as what I might have done wrong
i love my ribs to fall apart at home but not in the comps, the longer you foil , the more they are gonna fall apart. i normally cook mine 3 to 4 hours unrapped, then wrap them the final hour. cooking at 250. never thought about apple jelly, thats sounds like a good idea!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I'm thinking the jelly turned to liquid and you steamed the ribs for two hours at a pretty high temp of 270.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
RAZORBACK JIM
Full Fledged Farker

Agree...6hrs at 270 is much longer than I would cook them!!!
WEBER PERFORMER
WEBER SMOKEY JOE
SMOKINTEX PRO 1400 (2)
BBQ GURU
[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] THERAPEN[/COLOR]
PIT-MASTER IQ 110
RAZORBACK JIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
And, sadly, herein lies the folly of using time for anything other than a rough guideline.

Sorry,
John

Well said ......
But we all have learned from our mistakes, we just try to educate others not to make the same errors as they hone their BBQ skills.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote