MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
EddySmokes
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Marinated Chops

Hey Fellas,

Made a quick dinner for the wife and I tonight. Did some pork chops and asparagus on the grill.

I marinated the chops in a mixture of Brags Liquid Amino Acids (tastes like Soy sauce, but way healthier for you), olive oil, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, no sugar added apple sauce (we didn't have any juice in the house!), honey and some of this 'pineapple teriyaki' rub that I got from Whole Foods.

Did them indirect until they hit about 140, did a quick sear direct and let them rest for about 10 minutes before we ate.

Came out great!

EddySmokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

those look great
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Those are super delicious looking ribs! What an interesting mix of ingredients in your marinade. I would like to try something similar but initially cooked sous vide. With the marinade and chops in a ziplock bag with the air pressed out, I'd cook it in water bath, long and slow. Then pull and finish just like you have. I have done them sous vide in water, simply vacuum packed, but your marinade sounds very flavorful. I would use apple juice, like I do for ribs, but we juice our own apples, no added sugar.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
EddySmokes

That sounds great - I've been hearing quite a bit about cooking sous vide style. Haven't tried it yet, but I may. You're essentially just boiling it in a bag, aren't you?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great looking chops Eddy! I like the sound of your marinade combo too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll have to try the 'Pineapple Teriyaki' rub that you got from Whole Foods
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

great lookn chops. Thanks for sharing

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I really like the looks of those chops.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Well, in a bag yes, but boil no. Sous vide is kind of related to BBQ in the "low and slow" approach. When doing veggies, you may hit the higher 185F temps, but for meat it is usually in the 140F to 155F depending on how you want it. Even lower if you are after rare or medium rare. Cook times are much longer, based on scientific research available on the net at Douglas Baldwin's website. But almost zero chance of overcooking.

I'm starting to play with it not only as vacuum packed meats, but also sort of poaching or braising, where I add the liquid I want to use into a ziplock bag with the meat and then cooking at the lower sous vide temperatures. Since heat exchange is liquid to liquid the temperatures are whatever I set. And the ziplock with stock or marinade means that the meat's flavor is not lost to a large pot of water.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
EddySmokes

That sounds awesome. I would think that doing that with steaks or burgers would be great. Get them to the prefect 'doneness' & toss em on the grill for a quick sear and some color...

Tags
Marinade, pork chops