Pork Butt Cook for Grad Party

SmokeDiddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We're throwing a high school graduation party for my daughter. What started with 15 family members has turned into 25 family and friends. So, I just picked up 3 Boston Butts for pulled pork from my local mart approx 23 lbs of meat. I wanted to cook my first MOINK Balls, but mama won't hear of it, so I am pretty bummed about that...oh well. Anyway, I will be posting pron as I go along. I will rise at 4:30 AM tomorrow morning and start my cook about 5:30 AM using my BSKD. Below are my getting equipment ready pics:

Erecting Tent for Shade
picture.php

Tent is up
picture.php

22.5 OTS and BSKD Parked and Leveled
picture.php

BSKD Water Pan and Chamber Bottom foiled and ready - One Butt per shelf
picture.php

OTS looking good - Just purchased the side table w/ flies. Using my OTS for grilled hot dogs and MOINK Balls if I can find a way to sneak them in.
picture.php

Hickory Chunks and Pecan Splits ready
picture.php

Black Cherry Splits Ready if I decide to use them for this cook
picture.php

More pron to follow, stay tuned...

Thanks for looking so far.

Tomorrow is international Moink Ball Day ya gotta do the MOINKS let me talk to Mamma!

quick trick to make managing MOINK's is skewer them on (soaked)bamboo skewers. Then slide them off when done. WAY easier (and safer) than toothpicks.

If you have 25 people coming, you'll have way more than enough meat. How about a pot o' baked beans? (KeriC's recipe is easy, cheap, and delicious!)

pretty neat setup you have there!!

I ran into the same issue on the monik balls but with ABT's for my kids college grad party.

I made them anyway. I cooked them on one of my small verticals while the brisket and chicken were on my offset.

I figured why not? People scarfed them down. She did not but I am still alive to talk about it.

Just cook some moinks.

quick trick to make managing MOINK's is skewer them on (soaked)bamboo skewers. Then slide them off when done. WAY easier (and safer) than toothpicks.

^^^ +1

Just tell her it is your treat for all your efforts, and you will even hand over the camera for her to take ALL the action shots of the cook and your party. :mrgreen:

Looks like you got things off to a good start, have fun and good luck!:hungry:

Preparing the rub tonight. It will be way too early in the morning to be fumbling around with spices. I use a Memphis style rub out of the Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen. For sauce, I make a Kansas City version that I got from where else but the BBQ Bretheren...it is awesome! Preparation of the butts pics coming in the morning.
picture.php

Early up this morning. Got up at 4AM and trimmed the butts and added rub.
picture.php

picture.php

Then it's 5 AM...time to start the fire...
picture.php

Full chimney of KB
picture.php

I Love the Smell of Kingsford in the Morning!!!
picture.php

The fire is hot, time to load the butts... If you notice, I have two temp probes in the smoke chamber. I wanted to look at temp differentials due to the amount of meet in the BSK.
picture.php

If you notice, there is some temp variation in the cook chamber, so I need to watch things closely.
picture.php

On cruise control, just sit back and enjoy this day!!!
picture.php

Thanks for lookin.

Butts have been on for 3 hours @ 250 +/-. Time to pull pan & foil:

Sorry the pic is out of focus...
picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for lookin.

Congrats! To your daughter! I haven't tried panning and foil after three hrs. I think I will try that next time. Do you use fat and juices or just leave them in pan until done? Does the bark get to moist?

I'm planning on doing a few butts for my daughters graduation party as well. Good luck, hope everything goes according to plan.

Congrats! To your daughter! I haven't tried panning and foil after three hrs. I think I will try that next time. Do you use fat and juices or just leave them in pan until done? Does the bark get to moist?

Thanks! I do according to Myron Mixon,leave in the pan until done. Actually, Myron keeps his his butts in the PAN the entire cook, I don't. Yes, the bark gets too moist. At the end of the cook when probe tender, unfoil, add glaze and put back in the cooker for 1 hour as the cooker draws down in temp (no more cook heat). I suppose this step firms the bark back up, but I skip this step so I cannot really say. I assume he pours the juice out of the pan before he puts it back for the last hour.

Either way, the meat is very juicy and pulls extremely easy.

^^^ +1

Just tell her it is your treat for all your efforts, and you will even hand over the camera for her to take ALL the action shots of the cook and your party. :mrgreen:

Looks like you got things off to a good start, have fun and good luck!:hungry:

The chef has to eat too!!!

Back