catering multiple meats and sides - portions question

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hello!
Planning a few 100-200 people "self serve buffet" style events. I am pretty good at estimating food needed for selling out of our trailer at events where I am controlling things, but this is a bit newer to me.

If I am serving pulled pork, brisket, a 3 sides (slaw, beans, corn casserole), is 4oz per each item per person a decent average to use for planning purposes? Not serving football teams or crazy big eaters or anything.

I'm guessing I would need about 80lbs brisket and 80 lbs pork (raw) to get close to that for 150 people, if indeed that is a good portion average.

Thanks!

Brisket always goes first and people eat with their eyes first. With three sides and you serving to control portions, I'd do four briskets and probably three pork shoulders. We do six ounce portions for the sides.

The dreaded "self-serve buffet!" Do what you think...then add 15% There is nothing worse than seeing the never ending buffet line as you watch the supply dwindle and you start worrying about running out.

Also, set up the line with the breads, salads, sides, etc. first then the meats at the end. This way they have less room on the plate when they get to the expensive stuff and are a little less likely to pile up the meats.

Also, set up the line with the breads, salads, sides, etc. first then the meats at the end. This way they have less room on the plate when they get to the expensive stuff and are a little less likely to pile up the meats.

Never thought of that, thank you!

Brisket always goes first and people eat with their eyes first. With three sides and you serving to control portions, I'd do four briskets and probably three pork shoulders. We do six ounce portions for the sides.

I don't know what I was thinking when I completely misread your post. Self-serve is tough for portion control. For pulled pork we use a six ounce disher so people might somewhat control themselves, and when I slice the brisket I take the slices and cut them in half or thirds so they're not grabbing three or four full slices.

I don't know what I was thinking when I completely misread your post. Self-serve is tough for portion control. For pulled pork we use a six ounce disher so people might somewhat control themselves, and when I slice the brisket I take the slices and cut them in half or thirds so they're not grabbing three or four full slices.

that is a good call on cutting brisket slices!

I think I'm going to put in the contract that we are agreeing on a specific serving size for the amount of people eating with a buffer of 10-15% so we can't be held liable if something runs out because either too many people show up or people take way too much.

Back