Any BBQ in Phoenix????

S

Smoker

A friend of mine is going to Phoenix Thursday for the weekend.

Any excellent BBQ places?????????

From what I gather......................................no.

Smoker said:

I saw a couple joints last time I was there and can definitley give you the name of one to avoid.

Our local AZBBQA has a BBQ crawl a few times a year and we have tried them all.I can not recommend one.

Have Joe meet you half way with a delivery.:biggrin:

MrSmoker said:
Our local AZBBQA has a BBQ crawl a few times a year and we have tried them all.I can not recommend one.
Is that because there isn't any one that you would recommend, or because you feel it unethical to advertise or point to a specific place.

I suggest your friend sticks with Mexican food while he is here...

AZPete said:
I suggest your friend sticks with Mexican food while he is here...

He hates mexican food. Grew up on rice and beans.

bbqjoe said:
Is that because there isn't any one that you would recommend, or because you feel it unethical to advertise or point to a specific place.
El Paso BBQ was our favorite until i became a Brethren and learned what good Q is.Now i don't go out for Q anymore except to try a new place when it opens.

Not quite in Phoenix

It's out between Mesa and Apache Junction and that's considered Greater Phoenix, so I can suggest Waldo's as a place that is palatable.

Of course it's only about 200 miles from there to Wikieup and the drive is worth it.

Got this in my email today...

BBQ restaurant to take over closed Buckeye deli location
Kelly Carr
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 8, 2006 12:00 AM Darryl Alexander's face is pressed against the window of what used to be Monroe Street Deli.

A letter board inside still lists different types of sandwiches, and chairs are tucked neatly onto empty tables.

The business closed months ago and is quiet. advertisement
clear.gif
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
clear.gif

But with Alexander's vision, that will soon change.

"Right now, look at this building. It's a dry scene," Alexander, 42, said. "Once Memphis Best BBQ comes in here, it will stay busy. You'll smell the hickory smoke from the interstate."

Alexander is not a Buckeye native re-investing in his town.

He spent his childhood in Tennessee and is retired from the Marine Corps.

On a trip back to his home in Peoria from San Diego, he traveled down Maricopa County 85, straight through downtown Buckeye.

The idea came to him to bring his own restaurant to the town.

"I kept sitting in the car and envisioning how there was nothing here," Alexander said. "My dream was that much closer as I looked at this city and saw what it was lacking. I thought here is a city in the growth path that no one knows anything about. I realized if I put a business in Avondale or Glendale, they already had a lot of restaurants. Then, here was a city with no food diversity."

That was all the motivation he needed.

Alexander is working to bring his family's barbecue traditions to Buckeye.

For Memphis Best BBQ, which is scheduled to open in the old Monroe Deli spot in January, Alexander said his uncle Jim Neely's secret recipes will flood the menu.

Alexander's uncle owns several restaurants in Tennessee. A review on one Web site called his food: "The best barbeque in the universe."

Alexander said Memphis Best BBQ will have food almost identical to that in Neely's restaurants, including pulled pork sandwiches and ribs.

Smoker said:

Drive to Tucson and eat at Mr. K's.

MrSmoker said:

What about Big City BBQ? I have never been so can not comment. You been Mr Smoker?

Oops i forgot about Big City,yes i have been there and it was good.

Back