Rusty UDS

LostSoul

Reaction score
Well it finally stopped raining and the Santa Ana winds stopped blowing so I figure its a good day to smoke some ribs. I walked outside only to find my BBQ cover had blown off the UDS. $ days of rain filled the bottom with about 4 inches of water. now theres some rust on the inside and the grills had some mold growing on them. I scrubbed everything up but the inside is still rust colored. Prob a dumb question but is the UDS ok to use?

Run a decent size fire in it, so burn off any mold that might still be left. Then wipe the drum out.

Run a decent size fire in it, so burn off any mold that might still be left. Then wipe the drum out.

What he said. Then cook some fatties to get it seasoned.

I used a bungee cord around for the first cover I had for my UDS, Now I use a Weber 26.5" cover which has these velcro tabs at the bottom which prevent it from sliding off in the wind. Has not blown yet.

Thanks guys! Hot burn and cleanup complete. Now for some ribs! I usually do the 3-2-1 method but I think I will be lazy today and forget about the wrapping. From what I'v read they should be good to go in 3.5-4 hours at 275-300, right?

I like to have a can of Pam handy. They even make a BBQ grill Pam. Anyways you can spray a light coating on immediately after cleaning it. Load it up with some charcoal. Let it burn for a hour or two. Then throw some fatties on perhaps!

Back