UDS Build starts tomorrow any last words of advice

Rustyc

Reaction score
Hi Guy

Well i pick up two drums tomorrow one for a UDS the other in case i screw up if all goes well with the first drum then made up some plans to turn the second one into a grill.
My question is what do you wish you knew when you built your first UDS?

second one was I can only get glav pipe for the air intake am I just better off to put ball value straight onto the nipple?

cheers for your help

buy step bits...

and more beer on hand....

darn Minnesota Sunday laws :(

Congrats!!
I wish I would have known enough to buy a deep freezer when they were on sale for holding all my future UDS animal carcases.

Just use the ball valve and keep it simple.

Your gonna love it

I just did my first test burn on my UDS/BBQ Guru. Would you believe 18 hours and absolutely ROCK SOLID on temp control. Agree fully - follow Norcorednecks' directions - can't go wrong.

My basket is 12" dia and 12" tall - sitting 4" off the bottom of the barrel.

Am going to buy a brisket tonight and my first UDS cook starts tomorrow - I'm excited. My first brisket cook too -

My wife told me I have to paint it and build a nice looking stand/table if I want to keep it on the deck - so that may be this weekend's project.

Now that I've got the smoker problem solved, I can start learning how to cook different cuts of meats.

This is getting to be fun. :mrgreen:

Oh yea - by all means get a step drill - worth every penny.

Regards
Rodney

Start simple. Go with magnets and add valves later.

Second/Third the step bit. I'm not sure how I survived this far without one.

Keep your head down and watch for flying stuff. Just keep in simple you do fine

A gentle reminder:

attachment.php

Another Brother sent me a PM asking for pointers. he asked about this thread so i will cut and paste my reply. I will let him remain anonymous because everyones build is their own. All tweak their builds and that is what make this all fun. Looking forward to pics of his and yours. There is a million ways to do it but I personally guarantee this set up to work as advertised.
Step by step.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=662611&postcount=86

Parts
3ea. 3/4" close pipe nipples
2ea. 3/4" pipe caps.
1ea. 3/4" ball valve.
3ea. 1/2" conduit nuts (optional for no weld build)
3ea. 1/4"-20 thrd.X 1 3/4" stainless bolt
3ea. 1/4"-20 thrd.X 2" stainless bolt
12ea. 1/4"-20 thd. nuts.
12ea. 1/4" washers.
2 handles and mount hardware of choice.
1 Spicewine gauge (2 if you want one in Weber lid. Nice to average temp).

Now for Charcoal Basket. I have been going this route lately and really like it.

1ea. Charcoal replacement grate for 18.5" Weber
1 piece 45"X 8" 3/4"-#9 expanded metal.
3ea. 1/2" or 3/8" X 3 1/2" long bolts
6ea. washers for bolts
6ea. nuts for bolts.

If you have a closed head drum you will need a lid. Weber lids fit some drums and can be tweaked with a couple of crescent wrenches to fit others. Cheaper kingsford kettles work but are a little loose.

For ash pan I get a cheap 14" grill like they sell at CVS or grocery stores. Works nice. Save lid you cut off and you can cut circle to stiffen ash pan.

Optional but nice to have
3 or 4 casters for bottom. I use 3 and tack weld them to bottom.

Thanks for all the advice guy the drum is built and it had a good long burn last night so starting it up today to do my first smoke. I will post some pics of the build later

Back