MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Seriously. I'm gonna try this at home pretty soon and post the results. Even if I hven't competed yet.
leave off the "yet". ya think the woodpile is a nuthouse?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
leave off the "yet". ya think the woodpile is a nuthouse?
Um, duh? Still, I'm pretty serious at about joining a team at least in the future. IF, anyone would have me...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Re: Crazy Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Um, duh? Still, I'm pretty serious at about joining a team at least in the future. IF, anyone would have me...
I would offer for you to come down and cook with me at Mobile, but I can't quite make that one happen.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
HA... DQ!!!!

bunny, on what grounds would that be a DQ? it's neither marking(my team name ain't GOLD Q), nor a foreign object.

no sh*t guerry! i had no idea. if i lived in the south, or if you're ever up north....a comp you'd be welcome at with me.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I've been thinking about this for a while. If the gold were on the side and not meant to be eaten, it would be foreign object and/or illegal garnish for sure. The issue is that gold is (somewhat) edible. Goldschlager has been mentioned, and I distinctly remember there is a place that serves a very expensive piece of cheesecake with gold leaf on top. If it's intended to be eaten, how can it be a garnish or foreign object? You don't eat those. Just because it's the only box with it shouldn't mean much. If some one turned in ribs eith a blueberry based sauce, is that marking just because they're the only ones to do it? With the exception of red-tipped lettuce, and red juice in chicken, when does colour ever matter of the things you eat? On the other hand, what do I know about KCBS doing things that make sense, eh?

dmp

NOTE: I said above that gold is (somewhat) edible, and in deed you can consume small quantities of it. It can also lead to heavy metal poisoning if you eat too much.

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #36
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I would say, if it is in leaf form, the rule about chunks in the sauce could come into play as the leaf would exceed the dimensions of a chunk. Same could apply to whole blueberries in a sauce as opposed to mashed up.
A gold sprinkle over the ribs is likely to be good but anyone trying it should alert the rep ahead of time.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #37
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
If it's intended to be eaten, how can it be a garnish or foreign object?
Showing or informing a Rep to tell judges that a box will be showing up with sparkely stuff on it, WILL NOT HAPPEN

Then, taking the Rep out of the equation:

As a MCBJ and a box landed on my table... During the scoring, I would balk if I saw flecks of a shiny object on the product and the appearance score would suffer tremendously, probably in the lower boundries in appearance... I would not eat the product

Doing something like this is totally out of the box...

It doesn't affect the taste...

It doesn't affect the tenderness...

It will effect the appearance scores in a negative performance...

I see a DAL in anyone's efforts at a contest with trained judges...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaes47 View Post
Showing or informing a Rep to tell judges that a box will be showing up with sparkely stuff on it, WILL NOT HAPPEN

Then, taking the Rep out of the equation:

As a MCBJ and a box landed on my table... During the scoring, I would balk if I saw flecks of a shiny object on the product and the appearance score would suffer tremendously, probably in the lower boundries in appearance... I would not eat the product

Doing something like this is totally out of the box...

It doesn't affect the taste...

It doesn't affect the tenderness...

It will effect the appearance scores in a negative performance...

I see a DAL in anyone's efforts at a contest with trained judges...
So if a box showed up with some little sparkly bits of bling on the ribs you would mark down, what if the ribs looked amazing otherwise? Just because something is there that doesn't mean that its wrong, just different. If it came across my table and the flecks were small enough to not constitute a foreign object and the ribs looked great I wouldn't score down because of bling, that's a idiodic assumption.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #39
wmaes47

Quote:
So if a box showed up with some little sparkly bits of bling on the ribs you would mark down
YES

Quote:
, what if the ribs looked amazing otherwise?
STILL, NO

Quote:
Just because something is there that doesn't mean that its wrong, just different
NOT JUDGING INDUSTRY STANDARD - FOREIGN OBJECT IN THE BOX

Quote:
If it came across my table and the flecks were small enough to not constitute a foreign object and the ribs looked great I wouldn't score down because of bling
A FOREIGN OBJECT CAN BE OF ANY SIZE, WHY DO IT IF NO ONE CAN SEE IT

Quote:
, that's a idiodic assumption.
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm............ Whom???

Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #40
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaes47 View Post
Did you ever play organized football? If you did, you might have heard a ref come over to your team before a game to ask about any special or trick plays? You think the ref goes and tells the other team what they are after? No. He likes to know so that he can be prepared for them. It's in that same vein that people acting outside the box should inform reps. Not so that they can inform judges, but so that they can be prepared for them. Apparently your misunderstanding has angered you, which is unfortunate.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
wmaes47

I'm not angry... My skin is tough

Where did that come from???

I made statements to his answers...

Trick plays are allowed in football...

Foreign object in a box are not legal, per KCBS rules...

... end

Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #42
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

statement deleted