MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
meatinc
On the road to being a farker

Default So Cal Meat Up! Backyard Competition!

The entry form for the next So Cal Meat Up! Backyard event is live and ready!

Here's a link: http://www.socalmeatup.com/index-1.html

The link to the actual entry form is under the text for the November Event.

Here's the basics:
On November 19th in Yorba Linda, CA, SoCal Meat Up will be hosting our second backyard competition. We hope all of you can make it out and support new teams looking to get into competition BBQ. This is going to be a 3 meat competition. The 3 meats are going to be chicken, pork ribs and tri-tip with turn-ins 1 hour apart.

Entry Fee - $25 entry fee will cover associated costs for clamshells, garnish, or other small incidental costs associated with the event.

Team check-in - will begin at 6 am 11/19/11 and Cooks meeting will begin at 8 am

Prep - all meats for the competition may be pre-trimmed, spiced, and prepped the evening prior to the event at home. No pre-cooking of any kind is allowed. This will be on the honor system so please follow the rules. Meats will be inspected upon arrival to ensure nothing is pre-cooked.

Cooking devices - We will follow KCBS rules with regards to BBQ pits. No gas or electric pits will be allowed.
There will be limited electricity available for this event. Water will be made available in a limited amount. Teams should try and minimize any electrical requirements.

Waste - all teams should attempt to minimize any waste impact. Be prepared to take trash, grease, and ash with you as ash / grease cash cans will NOT be available on site. Limited amounts of Gray water receptacles will be provided and must be used; ABSOLUTELY no dumping of gray water in storm drains or planters – Violators subject to disqualification.

Turn-ins - Turn in times are 11:00am Chicken, 12:00 Tri-Tip, 1:00pm Pork Ribs. Turn-in times are set at one hour between categories so the judges have plenty of time to evaluate and provide LIVE feedback for the cooks. Turn-ins will utilize clam shells provided by the event coordinator.

Garnish - One turn in box will have garnish. All other categories will use foil or the clam shell only. The purpose of having one turn in with KCBS style garnish is so teams can practice garnishing one box and get feedback from the judges / fellow competitors. Judges may provide feedback on the garnish - even though the garnish is NOT to be judged in a KCBS event, I think we all feel it has an impact. The category that will use garnish will be identified prior to the event. We will attempt to provide the garnish (parsley) for each event if possible.

Judging - judging will be blind / open comment. We will attempt to have 6 KCBS judges for each event. Teams will turn in clam shells and their boxes will be numbered out of sight of the judges. The judges will then open and judge the boxes on Taste and Tenderness (per KCBS guidelines) and Appearance (on garnish box only) and openly discuss / critique the boxes in front of the competitors. This will allow the competitors to get instant feedback on their turn ins but the judges will not know who's box they are judging. We may try and minimize the amount of food the judges have to eat by using 3 judges to judge 50% of the boxes from each round. The final scores will be calculated per weighted format. This judging style was really informative to the teams at the last event.

Mentoring - if a new team would like a "Pro" to help out with ideas about prep, cooking, presentation, or flavor profiles - ASK! If a "Pro" team would like to help and mentor a "new" team, Let me know! The "pros" will be randomly paired up with the "new teams.

CBJ's - It would be great if we could get 6 - 8 CBJ's to commit. Last backyard comp had 5 / 6 CBJ's because we had one VIP Judge.

Any other questions? Please ask!

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for putting these together Aaron.