MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default KCBS JUNE Agenda

June BOD Agenda

June 9, 2008

KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING
WEDNESDAY, June 11, 2008
AGENDA

Proposal for KCBS to provide sanctioning services and providing infrastructure services to the Memphis Barbecue Network (MBN) and its membership beginning January 09 Motion by Wayne Lohman

Member to address the Board concerning discipline of teams, to provide information concerning suspensions.

Minutes

Accounting

Discussion concerning auditing requirements for KCBS and future management letters, as well as discussion of cost and frequency.

Review of past contest

Sanctioning Request

Sanctioning Tana Shupe
Review of Organizers Handbook and Sanction Request Form

Committee Reports

Rules Rod Gray No Report

CBJ Ed Roith No Report

Contest Rep Carol Whitebook
Report on the CBJ verification program by Contest Reps.
Report on the RAT test and use as a training tool for all

CBJ’s
Report on Official Clock issues.

Education Paul Kirk No Report

Marketing Troy Black Marketing Update - McCloud

Membership Steve Ownby No Report

Mentoring Tana Shupe No Report

New Ideas Merl Whitebook
Motion requiring Contest Reps to register non sanctioned contest and KCBS licensing for 1st time non sanctioned contest.

Research & Development Linda Mullane
Motion to establish a contest audit procedure and random contest audit procedures.

Technology Don Harwell No Report

Old/New Business
Proposal from Axcet for Human Resource Services
Proposal by Carol Whitebook to place on the July agenda a review of each committee’s goals and their mid year application to this years strategic plan for KCBS.

Review of Conflict of Interest Policy as to Paul Kirk, Tana Shupe and Troy Black

Motion regarding Board Members discussing matters of the board on public forums (BBQ Forum) before the KCBS Board has even discussed, seen, or heard of a matter or issue. Motion by Steve Ownby

Motion concerning the CBJ verification program requiring CBJ’s to show their KCBS ID card at a contest at check in. Motion by Steve Ownby

Motion concerning international sanctioning. Motion by Tana Shupe.

Discussion of Trade Mark Application and Examining Attorneys objections, re: memo from T Steffens of the Polsinelli law firm.

Any other matter that may come before the Board

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
BBQchef33

Looks like theres another gag order in the works.

If board members are not allowed to discuss issues prior to them being tabled, how can they represent what we, as KCBS members, want. ??

" Motion regarding Board Members discussing matters of the board on public forums (BBQ Forum) before the KCBS Board has even discussed, seen, or heard of a matter or issue. Motion by Steve Ownby"

LOL...... They are not allowed to discuss things before the Board hears about it?? So how will they know what can be discussed, if its not tabled yet?

anyway... seems like deja-vu.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Maybe they should go "coffee talk" style, just throw it out.... get veclempt, and let us talk amongst ourselves as they listen. :)

Seems counter productive to me too, but hey...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Some of the folks on this BoD don't seem to do anything more than try to stop those that want to move forward. How many times can a "No Report" be listed before your peers ask you what your doing?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
BBQchef33

I find it ironic that Steve Ownby chairs the membership commitee, yet he motions to take us out of the loop.

If your so inclined, we should send out some quick emails to the BOD to drop the motion. Heres the email address to cut and paste.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

My understanding is that the way the motion for the MBN (Proposal for KCBS to provide sanctioning services and providing infrastructure services to the Memphis Barbecue Network (MBN) and its membership beginning January 09 Motion by Wayne Lohman) will create a service based entity out of KCBS thus leading to the destruction of their non-profit status. Don't know all the ins and outs, but looks like several members are pushing hard for this and will not let it go.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Rules Rod Gray No Report
What ever happened to the discussion of an individual cooking on two teams at the same contest?

AKA Plowboys 1 & Plowboys 2 - Randy and I enter as two teams, but cook both together and double up on the entries. Currently, that is legal. Odd, but legal as long as there are two separate spaces and two separate cookers.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
My understanding is that the way the motion for the MBN (Proposal for KCBS to provide sanctioning services and providing infrastructure services to the Memphis Barbecue Network (MBN) and its membership beginning January 09 Motion by Wayne Lohman) will create a service based entity out of KCBS thus leading to the destruction of their non-profit status. Don't know all the ins and outs, but looks like several members are pushing hard for this and will not let it go.

Board members or Member-members(members like us)??

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Board members or Member-members(members like us)??
Sorry . . . board Members.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Discussions of an agenda are certainly good for KCBS. As directors they are responsible to the members, both ethically and feduciary. Discussing issues in our kind of setting (BBQBrethren) seems like a logical solution. BOD members can look in, comment or not, and get a feel for what the membership wants. Now, as to whether they follow what the membership wants or not....I think we have already seen that.
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
What ever happened to the discussion of an individual cooking on two teams at the same contest?

AKA Plowboys 1 & Plowboys 2 - Randy and I enter as two teams, but cook both together and double up on the entries. Currently, that is legal. Odd, but legal as long as there are two separate spaces and two separate cookers.
Does this really cause an issue? Twice as much entry fee, twice as much meat costs, more equipment... I personally wouldn't really have an issue with this. I mean if you guys always had separate teams, and gave each other advice... shared tips whatever... not a lot of difference.

We have a NEBs meeting every month... we always have a membership report. Sometimes its as simple as 4 new members, 20 renewals, 10 moved to inactive, paypal was used by 15 people. We currently ahve 330 memebers, last year at this time we had 275. I'd think KCBS would have something like that... guess not.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
Does this really cause an issue? Twice as much entry fee, twice as much meat costs, more equipment... I personally wouldn't really have an issue with this. I mean if you guys always had separate teams, and gave each other advice... shared tips whatever... not a lot of difference.
Let me put it another way. Someone is hot currently in a category, say chicken. Could that guy cook chicken for multiple teams at the same contest? Currently it is possible under the rules. Could I cook two pork entries for two different teams while someone else cooks two chicken entries? Just seems weird that this is possible under the rules.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Let me put it another way. Someone is hot currently in a category, say chicken. Could that guy cook chicken for multiple teams at the same contest? Currently it is possible under the rules. Could I cook two pork entries for two different teams while someone else cooks two chicken entries? Just seems weird that this is possible under the rules.
You make a very interesting point! They said they wanted to make it like NASCAR. 1 owner, multiple teams, I can see if happen! Wow I can see it happen! (I hope you can see my sarcasim)! I agree I don't like the idea!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Don't the rules say that your meat needs to stay in your spot? Seems like that would make it illegal to turn in meat that was ever in another spot after inspection.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Don't the rules say that your meat needs to stay in your spot? Seems like that would make it illegal to turn in meat that was ever in another spot after inspection.
3. Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers,
props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other
equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the
boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. All
seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the
assigned cooking space. Teams shall not share an assigned
cooking space or cooking device.

The final sentence should answer the question. The operative word is 'Teams'. I don't see how you can be on more than one team at the same time. The meat, the prep, and the cooker are all covered. The only potentially ambiguous language I see is 'Teams'. The intent seems clear.

Edited for clarity: If a cook is going from camp to camp to cook chicken then he/she is sharing a cooker.

my .02

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote