Wood Beam Near Pit Question

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking at building a deck in the backyard soon. It's going to be just off the ground, but we're wanting to go with the wood since it'll be cheaper than the pavers.

We're going to put a "roof" over it, but I'm not sure where I'll need to put it or how it'll do near the heat. I know it won't catch on fire, but over time will the heat do any damage?

This is the simple basic design I'm looking at. The red dot is where the beam will be ... would that be ok being near my smoker?

I don't see a problem, the wood handles they put on el-chepo offset or old kettles don't start on fire? If you are concerned, have a good siding/trim guy wrap with aluminum trim/flashing material.
I think I would be more concerned about wood decking material, since you are in SC (no freezing), perhaps consider a tile hearth for under your smoker & grill?

The deck is going to be raised some. It's going to be the level of our step out the back door. So just a step up from the ground.

The deck is going to be raised some. It's going to be the level of our step out the back door. So just a step up from the ground.

I was speaking from an ash/coal safety perspective. The chance is slim but there...

Just take some 3/4" plywood and tile it to put under the smoker and/or grill area. Cheap, decorative, easy to clean (no grease drip stains on your new deck), and tons of safety factor. Don't forget to make it big enough for your ash bin.

I would not worry about heat, but you might want to consider something to get exhaust smoke and the moisture/grease it carries outside or it will gunk up the interior ceiling.

You can get a sheet of steel and cut it a little wider than the width of the beam and roughly the height of the smoker, with a few inches top and bottom as a buffer. Then attach it with screws and spacers to the beam, leaving a 1/2" air space between the steel and the beam. I'd definitely put a grill mat under the firebox too.

I would not worry about heat, but you might want to consider something to get exhaust smoke and the moisture/grease it carries outside or it will gunk up the interior ceiling.

I thought about that, but didn't know a "non ghetto" way of doing it ... hhmmm

Back