MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I just wanted to post a few pics to clarify the difference in cooking temperatures. The roast I cooked and reverse-seared below was cooked initially at 225*:

You can clearly see that the pinkness extends all the way to the edge of the roast. The one below was cooked by Ron_l at 275*:

You can see that the outer edges are cooked a bit more than the center. Note also that he does not perform a reverse sear, but just does a slow roast the entire time. Here is one cooked by Boshizzle at 325*;

The outer cap is well done now and the inner portion is medium rare. Note also that every roast shown is absolutely delicious!

There are three points to this:
1. Different cooking temperatures will give you a different product. The higher the temperature, the greater the doneness gradient in the meat. This is true for everything you cook. It is why we cook smaller pieces of meat at higher temperatures than large pieces.
2. There is no "right way" as all of them taste absolutely delicious!
3. Rib roast is easy. How many things can you vary the cooking temperature by 100* (or more) and still have a great product?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Excellent post Gore!

Do you typically pull your roast when it gets to 125 like Ronelle?
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Excellent post Gore!

Do you typically pull your roast when it gets to 125 like Ronelle?
I believe I pulled that one a tad lower, ~122*, but Ron didn't do a sear. I pull it, then let it rest about 20 minutes, loosely foiled. During this time the IT rises about 10*. During the rest, I open all the vents on the Oval, remove the heat diffusion plates, and bring the temp up as fast as I can ~600* (this varies). I then do a quick sear on the top edge, rotating around the curve of the meat, ~1 minute per spot. This just sears the outer part and makes a crust. The meat already has rested 20 minutes before this sear, so it's pretty much ready to slice after the sear. If you have an extra pit, you could bring that up to high temp and do the sear right after the low-and-slow, and then rest, but that's not worth the trouble. I've already got one pit hot and I've got to rest anyway. Again, unless you get drunk and fall asleep on the couch and don't remove the roast until IT >180*, you're gonna have a great product. Rib roast is about the hardest thing to fark up.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Again, unless you get drunk and fall asleep on the couch and don't remove the roast until IT >180*, you're gonna have a great product. Rib roast is about the hardest thing to fark up.
I thought that was going to remain between just you and me...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I thought that was going to remain between just you and me...
Fark, sorry about that. Mods, can you please remove that last line in my earlier post?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
DC-Q
Full Fledged Farker

For my Xmas PR I use;

Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Granulated Garlic
Granulated Onion
& Coffee

The coffee adds an extra layer of flavor
that I really like on my PR's.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

fo sho the temp to pull from da initial low heat roast 200-250 depd on the size of the rib roast and how high the temp is. closer to 200 with a small roast you can pull at an internal of 129-130 since there wont be as much rise. closer to 250 and or a large roast there is more rise so you gotta pull at 122-125. if you dont want to worry bout it do 125.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
bsimm78
Got rid of the matchlight.

I'm hungry after reading this.

Blake Simmons
bsimm78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

I just cooked a strip loin roast that I pounded into the shape and thickness of a prime rib a couple of nights ago. Cooked it at 275 indirect on the BGE, until it was about 100. Took it off, and tented in butcher paper for intermediate rest for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile ran temp up on BGE to about 550, and put it back on for a good sear, got it pulled at about 130, and let rest again.

The ends got a little closer to medium, which was fine for some of the guests, but the middle pieces were money, perfect pink all they way through, very little to no gray band around edges.

Good stuff! Made killer philly cheese steak sandwiches with left overs last night for dinner, highly recommend that.
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #25
landarc

I tend to pull at 125F internal as well, except when BIL is eating, then I go to 130F internal. I always try to buy bone-on. I feel it cooks better, I like the bones part and I just do not understand why it is so hard for folks to carve a roast off the bone. I had to watch yet another roast totally butchered this past Thanksgiving.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
saychz316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thank you all for replies. I feel much better now about doing this on my smoker. I promise to post results after cooked!

One last thing, what kind of cook time can i expect for a 10 to 12 pound roast?

Thanks again!!
saychz316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
saychz316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I just wanted to post a few pics to clarify the difference in cooking temperatures. The roast I cooked and reverse-seared below was cooked initially at 225*:

You can clearly see that the pinkness extends all the way to the edge of the roast. The one below was cooked by Ron_l at 275*:

You can see that the outer edges are cooked a bit more than the center. Note also that he does not perform a reverse sear, but just does a slow roast the entire time. Here is one cooked by Boshizzle at 325*;

The outer cap is well done now and the inner portion is medium rare. Note also that every roast shown is absolutely delicious!

There are three points to this:
1. Different cooking temperatures will give you a different product. The higher the temperature, the greater the doneness gradient in the meat. This is true for everything you cook. It is why we cook smaller pieces of meat at higher temperatures than large pieces.
2. There is no "right way" as all of them taste absolutely delicious!
3. Rib roast is easy. How many things can you vary the cooking temperature by 100* (or more) and still have a great product?
Thank you sir!! Those look great and thanks for the explanation!
saychz316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saychz316 View Post
Thank you sir!! Those look great and thanks for the explanation!
You're welcome. Unfortunately, I really don't remember how long I cooked mine (I'm thinking to plan for about 3 hours total, but it might be a bit longer), and the length of time will depend on what temp you choose and how big the roast is. One other point: You can go searching rib roast threads and you'll probably find thousands that say how wonderful theirs came out, but I don't recall seeing a single one that said their roast sucked. Kinda tells you that this is easy.

I believe that was the very first thing I cooked on our new Oval and even it turned out ok.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
landarc

I have had a ruined Prime Rib, but, you really have to start off with a bad piece of meat, and then really screw it all up, and even then, it is pretty hard to get completely wrong.

Here is one done my way...

I use an olive oil paste, basically a mixture of parsley (I prefer flat leaf), thyme, basil and oregano in equal parts (1T each), then kosher salt and fresh ground medium grain black pepper (4T each), mix into about 1/2 cup of good olive oil, then slather onto the roast. From there, 225F to 250F, cook until internal is 125F to 135F, pull, tent and rest for 30 minutes or so.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
Gore
Phizzy

Wow, you took a pretty big chef's snack off the top of that thing.