MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Cooknhogz
On the road to being a farker

Default Just me and my cooker.

OK, this is a new request that I'm not really sure on how to charge for. Friends of ours have a popular bar in town which I have done BBQ for many times over the years with great success but I supplyed most everything. They recently came to me about this next summer having real BBQ 2 to 3 Saturdays a month all summer long which besides the smoker, wood and seasonings they will supply everything meats, sides, and even radio advertising ,all I have to do is cook the meats. This has the potential to be really big and could be a great opportunity to get my name out to even more people. With thousands in equiptment I don't want to charge to little or to much. Basically looking for your thoughts on the matter on how to charge for this. I live about 19 miles away from the bar. Thanks
Cooknhogz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Andrews

I'd figure out what my time is worth and then tack on a flat fee for the rental of your pit.

That being said, my time is valuable so I won't disclose what I would charge. The pit I'd rent out for $150-$200 per weekend, not including charcoal.

If you are enabeling them to make a large amount, they should be ok with paying you for your services.
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Cooknhogz

I was thinking more of a per hr. charge on this also plus, a sm charge for my pit. This not being a 1x gig but a 2-3x a month gig is whats throwing me off. Theres aways somone out there trying to cut your prices so I have to come up with a reasonable, fair agreement with the establishment.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Call around and find out if anyone else is offering this kind of service and what they would charge? Do not let them know your a competitor, but say something to the fact that you own a restaurant and you would like to host a BBQ night 3 times a month for such and such hours and that you would provide blah and they need to bring their pit and their service what do they charge
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

They pay for everything.

$20 per hour.

You will find that its not worth it nor will they be able to afford it.

Basically your price for cooking will wipe out their profit.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
chad

I was thinking $20 per hour, too. And don't discount wear/tear on the equipment. I just burned out my Kingfisher and it would take about $6K to replace my model. Good luck. They think they are getting a free cook...

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
They pay for everything.

$20 per hour.

You will find that its not worth it nor will they be able to afford it.

Basically your price for cooking will wipe out their profit.
Not necessarily. If they have him cook enough, then any leftovers can be resold the next day without having to pay him anymore. The key is to get enough meat cooked.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Cooknhogz

Thanks for all the replys. I'm thinking the 20 per hr to start this is more than fair. What we at the bar were thinking up north lots of people love pulled pork, ribs, and chicken but we don't have anywhere to get good authentic BBQ like down south does. Closest thing to BBQ is Famous Daves and that isnt bad but not the best BBQ to me. Say people know that the 1st and 3rd week of the month they can get good BBQ at this establishment which is all ready a popular stop especilly with motorcycles people will come to eat and drink which the bar will make good money on drinks which is were a bar makes most of its money anyhow so hopfully its a win win situation for all or we hope. I'm thinking if its really a hit I can charge a little more down the road.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Bbq Bubba

Let me try to explain this to all who want to work thru a middleman.

1 case of pork butts.... 65 lbs @ $1.15 lb = $75.00
15 hrs of labor at $20 = $300
You end up with 33ish lbs of pork making 100ish 1/3 lb sammies selling for ??? remember its a bar. Maybe $6? for a total of $600ish dollars...minus your labor and cost of meats leaving a profit of $225.

Make sense?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I were a bar owner, there is no way I'm gonna stay on board for an extra $225.

I see this situation lasting one maybe two events.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
landarc

There are a couple of other thoughts I have.

1. If you see this as an opportunity to market your name, but, you are not in control of the base ingredients, sides etc...then you risk you reputation on their decisions of sourcing and sides. This is not always a good risk.

2. Are you doing only the cooking and none of the plating? Have you settled on who moves the meat into the kitchen? Is there a kitchen? Are you really just cooking, or will you be doing plating as well?

3. Have you really considered pricing and whether the people coming to a bar are willing to pay for food. Food in a bar is not often a profit center. Do you get cash on closing, or is this to be an account type of thing?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you want to venture into serving at a bar, why not get a temp license, set up outside the bar, and give the owner 10% for location plus utilities?

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
If I were a bar owner, there is no way I'm gonna stay on board for an extra $225.

I see this situation lasting one maybe two events.
Actually this would be a good deal for the bar. They make money serving drinks. If they can get extra people in the place without losing money, it's a win for them.

I would have dates posted on any advertising that is done. People won't remember 1st and 3rd Sat. The more specific you can be, the better.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
chad

Oh, hell! Just work for beer!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I have an agreement with a local bar, I set the trailer up in their lot, outside the back door. I sell out of it, they take it into the bar to eat. I keep everything I sell, they get a Saturday night of selling 300 extra beers without having to hire a band.

win-win
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote