• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Taking ABTs to a tailgate

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've smoked ABTs (stuffed jalapeno peppers) and transported them 1.5 hours once to a party. They were good, but not nearly as good as when they are fresh off the smoker.

This Sunday I am bringing some to a tailgate and I was wondering if anyone has ever just premade them and grilled them? This got me thinking whether the low and slow smoking is really necessary or could I toss them over medium indirect or maybe even direct heat to soften the pepper and melt the cheese and of course cook the bacon?

Worse case I can smoke them in the morning and then reheat them in an aluminum tin at the tailgate.

Thoughts?

I've grilled my before and they turn out fine - answer GRILL 'em if ya got 'em

Have fun ! (what game ?)

The only difference I noticed when I grilled them was that the jalapeno was hotter than they normally are when smoked. Not sure if it was the time or heat difference, but most of the people that usually love them said they couldn't eat these. I liked them, I admit they were a bit warm but they are jalapenos after all. :shock:

Ok thanks guys - I'll give it a try. I'm leaning towards an indirect grill at home then wrapping them tight in an aluminum tin then quickly direct grilling them at the game. This is an appetizer after all and I don't want to get in the way of reheating the main course: smoked brisket!

The game is Ravens vs. Steelers. A doozy to start off the year!

Grilling results are in: the ABTs had perfect consistency after 30 min at 350 degrees (medium indirect heat). I did not like the ones that were put over direct heat. They charred too easily on the bottom and had a raw bacon feel on top.

However, I didn't use any wood chunks during the "grilling" which totally changed the flavor. They were good, but not great. So tomorrow morning before the game (at home) I think I'm going to do 30 min indirect heat (medium) with a wood chunk in there to add the smoke flavor. Then when I get to the game I'll heat them up again in a covered tin.

Good discussion and good thought exercise.
Thanks

John

Back