MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Running a 22" WSM at 300* with Stoker

Does anyone else have experience cooking on a 22" WSM at high heat using the Stoker? I have been trying to run mine at 300* in competition, but even though I can usually get it up to temp, it never seems to stay there. It never fails that after about 1-2 hours the temps start to creep down until it settles at 250. I've tried adding a chimney of lit charcoal, adding lump, the temp will go up and then creep right back down shortly after.

Currently, I am cooking with briquets and I have a feeling I need to go with all lump for these cooks. Unfortunately, lump has been near impossible for me to find anything around me.
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

have you tried using a firering from a 18" WSM? I've heard this helps managing temps better in the 22.5" WSM's.

We use a 18" WSM at comps and it locks in at 230* for 8 hours and never wavers. We've never considered using an electric fan only because there's no need.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I've run the WSM 22 at 300 using a 10cfm stoker for at least several hours. I assume you have no water in the water pan? WSM IS sheltered from the wind?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I think using the 18" charcoal ring works great for a naturally aspirated burn but not so good with a fan. I tried it with my Guru and Stubbs charcoal for the first time and it took forever to get up to 275* and every time the guru cycled off the temp dropped ~15-20*. Once I figured it had to be the 18" ring I removed it and the temp spiked then settled and was rock solid. I haven't tried going to 300*. But make sure the vent with the fan adapter is open, that happened once on my 18" the vent worked its way closed and I wasn't getting any airflow.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
MG_NorCal
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerlowerbbq View Post
I have been trying to run mine at 300* in competition, but even though I can usually get it up to temp, it never seems to stay there. It never fails that after about 1-2 hours the temps start to creep down until it settles at 250. I've tried adding a chimney of lit charcoal, adding lump, the temp will go up and then creep right back down shortly after.

Currently, I am cooking with briquets and I have a feeling I need to go with all lump for these cooks. Unfortunately, lump has been near impossible for me to find anything around me.
Sounds like the fire suffocates under ash. I think you're right about using lump instead.
Consider also that the 22" loses lots of heat over its large surface area, an insulating jacket would make your temp easier to hold.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all! I do run the WSM with no water in the pan even for low temp cooks. It seems like the happy place for these 22" WSMs is around 250* no matter what i do. Although it will sit at 225* all night on the Stoker when I start the fire off slow. Also, I have checked to shake the ash off the charcoal and even tried adding a whole chimney of lit to no avail. Wind usually isn't a problem, but the cold may be. perhaps I need to throw a blanky on there . Does anyone have any experience using any kind of insulator on these?
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerlowerbbq View Post
Thanks all! I do run the WSM with no water in the pan even for low temp cooks. It seems like the happy place for these 22" WSMs is around 250* no matter what i do. Although it will sit at 225* all night on the Stoker when I start the fire off slow. Also, I have checked to shake the ash off the charcoal and even tried adding a whole chimney of lit to no avail. Wind usually isn't a problem, but the cold may be. perhaps I need to throw a blanky on there . Does anyone have any experience using any kind of insulator on these?
Sorry, late post I know. I have a Pro Q Excel 18". Try this - crack the lid just a bit. instead of seating it properly, leave it unseated with a gap. I've done this on hot and fast briskets and works like a charm. I would wait until the fire settles down a bit. I've done it off the bat and have had the cooker spike to over 400 degrees! Good luck, let me know if it works on that huge cooker!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
I've run the WSM 22 at 300 using a 10cfm stoker for at least several hours. I assume you have no water in the water pan? WSM IS sheltered from the wind?
I've had the same success. The key is the 10 cfm fan. What size fan do you use?

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I put a clay pot base in my water pan with my stoker, helps retain some heat, you might also need more air, crack the door
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

im no expert with the 22 yet, just ran it for the first time this weekend, but we ran all lump, and easily got 350 by cracking the lid about 1/2 inch. Once it hit that, we put the lid back, opened all vents and it held at 315 for about 3 hours until it ran out of fuel. Keep in mind, we ramped it up after burning for about 4 hours at 250 so the fuels load was on its way out.

by the way.. that sucker makes alot of steam... it nearly washed all the rub off the ribs in the first 30 minutes. I run the 18 with water, but for the 22, no more water in the water pan for me... switchin to sand.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Some sort of a windbreak could help. I have used a BBQ Guru smoking jacket for my 18.5 WSM for a couple of years and find that it helps a lot especially when the snow is blowing

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Do not have our 22 anymore. When we did we needed a wind block/ insulator to run the higher temps and be steady. We used Reflectix from Lowes the 4 foot high stuff loosely wrapped around the cooker. It will burn if it touches the cooker. We had handles on the cooker (4) which was perfect for spacing and clipping to. Worked great for overnight cooks too. Cuts the fuel use way down. The BBQ Guru also makes a insulated cover for using when cooking.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

No problems getting 350* with my 22" thus far; no water in the pan. I use Royal Oak briquettes and a couple pieces of lump. You can crack the lid or manually blow air via a handheld fan through the vents.