MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cows suck. Continual beef fails.

Pork i can do, whole shoulders, Boston's/picnics, bellies, spares into St. Louis style and cook them good too. Beef on the other hand is my weak point.

Beef ribs last two times were extremely chewy and my sauce you couldn't taste over the beef flavor. Today i tried my first ever brisket. A beautiful 14lbs Prime packer with a thick flat. Rubbed her down with bovine bold and stuck her on the wsm at 275 around 9am. Waited till about 3Pm and started to probe, not butter yet. Kept waiting and proving every hour or so. The point is done very soft, just gotta wait on flat, another hour and still a 3" strip not butter soft. I finally pulled it off at 6pm. 9 hours at 275. Never wrapped and let it sit foiled until a few minutes ago, prepare to slice against the grain and....smoosh flattened down, couldn't do anything with it. The bark was so dried out and hard I couldn't cut it and it smushed my brisket, all i could do is makes pulled brisket that has no flavor. Very mad at this cook. Guess ill try again after a pork cook.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

try wrapping in foil or butcher paper after 4 -5 hrs next time. at 275 should be 6-8 hrs total then let it rest atleast 1 hr - 2 hrs is better.

What was your rub? I've read a cpl places that Prime is not good for Hot n Fast because of too much fat/marbling to render out- they say Prime is best for low n slow at 225* - I dunno I smoke Selects and occasional Choice and Hot n Fast has been better for me. 275*-300* around 6 hrs total.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Plow boys bovine bold. It was the last time i jump in that deep of a pool, no more prime for a long time.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Smokinwright
On the road to being a farker

I struggle with brisket at times as well. If the brisket does not have really good marbling, I foil it after about 4 hours. Only way I can get it good and tender, juicy, and still have good flavor. If it is a select brisket, with good marbling, I skip the foil until rest time.

Just my experience with some briskets.
Smokinwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

OK...

Step away from the brisket.

Deep, calming breaths

I cook prime briskets at 275 regularly with no problem, and I use Bovine Bold.

What were you cooking in? The WSM? Water in the pan, no pan, something else?

Fat cap up or down?

How did you measure the temp and where in the cooker?

At 275 my briskets go about 45-60 minutes per pound in my FEC-100 as a reference.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
OK...

Step away from the brisket.

Deep, calming breaths

I cook prime briskets at 275 regularly with no problem, and I use Bovine Bold.

What were you cooking in? The WSM? Water in the pan, no pan, something else?

Fat cap up or down?

How did you measure the temp and where in the cooker?

At 275 my briskets go about 45-60 minutes per pound in my FEC-100 as a reference.
WSM water in pan. Fat cap down. Measured temp with bbqguru digiQ2 and a maverick et732 while away from smoker doing yard work. Pit probes were 3" away from brisket placed over the water pan 3 degree diff between the two pit probes. I used my thermapen to probe and was hitting around 205-207 all over the flat 210ish in the point.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Bludawg

Cook Fat cap down. You only need to probe in the thickest part of the Flat that is the last spot to get tender. I suggest some butcher paper

Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
LMAJ

Next time you get a beautiful 14 pound packer send it to me.

I'm a little confused about this comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD View Post
Beef ribs last two times were extremely chewy and my sauce you couldn't taste over the beef flavor.
What flavor are you looking for?
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Was trying to copy the brown sugar, parkey, tiger amd honey recipe that i normally use on the pork ribs, wasnt strong enough to taste. But that's another topic.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
prepare to slice against the grain and....smoosh flattened down, couldn't do anything with it. The bark was so dried out and hard I couldn't cut it and it smushed my brisket, all i could do is makes pulled brisket that has no flavor.
Quote:
I used my thermapen to probe and was hitting around 205-207 all over the flat 210ish in the point.
Simply based on these points, I'd say that it was overcooked. It shouldn't smush like that. It's hard to tell without seeing it, of course. You may just have to calibrate your sense of feel. It's hard to describe and takes some experience.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Kind of my thought process, trial by fire... Or smoke.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
16Adams

I like the smaller briskets like under 12#.
Everyone has a similarly different technique and IMHO that's because they know their individual cookers quirks like they know the beer aisle.

I use my Pit Barrel Cooker for brisket. It will take the cut to 160 then I wrap in foil and place on the grate till 200 or probe tender. Remove wrap in a couple towels and rest for 2 hours. Never been disappointed yet. Usually takes About 7-8 hours total.

Regardless of type of cooker you use, pit barrel cooker company has great 3-4 minute videos on their website that shows prepping and cooking the most popular cuts of meat.

The prep method will work fine in any cooker

Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Pork i can do, whole shoulders, Boston's/picnics, bellies, spares into St. Louis style and cook them good too. Beef on the other hand is my weak point.

Beef ribs last two times were extremely chewy and my sauce you couldn't taste over the beef flavor. Today i tried my first ever brisket. A beautiful 14lbs Prime packer with a thick flat. Rubbed her down with bovine bold and stuck her on the wsm at 275 around 9am. Waited till about 3Pm and started to probe, not butter yet. Kept waiting and proving every hour or so. The point is done very soft, just gotta wait on flat, another hour and still a 3" strip not butter soft. I finally pulled it off at 6pm. 9 hours at 275. Never wrapped and let it sit foiled until a few minutes ago, prepare to slice against the grain and....smoosh flattened down, couldn't do anything with it. The bark was so dried out and hard I couldn't cut it and it smushed my brisket, all i could do is makes pulled brisket that has no flavor. Very mad at this cook. Guess ill try again after a pork cook.
Kinda confused. You state all you could do was pulled brisket that has no flavor. I make mushy pulled brisket all the time. Flavor should be the same based on your seasoning. The only difference is the texture. Sliced vs pulled. My family prefers pulled by the way.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
gtr

Quote:
Was trying to copy the brown sugar, parkey, tiger amd honey recipe that i normally use on the pork ribs, wasnt strong enough to taste. But that's another topic.
IMO S&P is the way to go with beef - maybe a little garlic, maybe a little onion powder - maybe a little heat - maybe to all that - just let the beef and smoke shine. Pork is a little more amenable to sweet flavors. I have had short ribs with some sweet on 'em and they are really dang good, but the sweet is subtle on those.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

I stopped reading this after I saw "cows suck"....how dare you??!!!
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote