MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Default legal???

This may have already been asked and answered, if so I apologize. In a KCBS contest is it legal to use a microwave oven to heat the items in the box before turn in? Not to cook with, just to add some heat before heading to the judges. If it is illegal, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to get a warm product to the scoring table other than an insulated carrying bag?

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default I think it's a no-no

My gut feel is that it is NOT legal…. If I recall the only ‘fuel’ that is allowed is wood and charcoal…. Now if you have a microwave that runs on charcoal….
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

it is absolutly illegal to use anything to warm the food except a wood fired pit. You may hold in a cooler or kambro to keep it hot until prep time, but nothing using propane or electricity and that includes microwaves or gas fired ovens.

For me, during a contest, ribs, pork and brisket are usually coming out of a cooler after resting for a bit and are still to hot to handle, and chicken is coming right off the pit.

If needed, you may return it to your pit to set glazes and warm stuff up a bit before going into the boxes, but thats it.. NO ELECTRIC OR GAS.

honestly, if you use a cooler or kambro to hold the meats, there is NO reason to heat it up. They are very hot when the time comes. Also, keep in mind, the hotter the product when it goes into the box, the more they will wilt the greens. When u close the box, it becomes a little steamroom.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

No way, Jose. Wouldn't want to wilt the garnish anyway. Food temp isn't a consideration in KCBS judging. Doesn't need to be hot. Appearance, Taste, Tenderness. Temp shouldn't come into play.

My $0.02.
Aaron
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Very illegal... so illegal that you'd get banned for 2 years from contests for that...

You could microwave a sauce... but NEVER EVER meat that was going into a turn in box.

my ribs and chicken come off the pit and into the box, the pork and brisket comes out of a cooler... and is so hot that I need to wear insulated gloves to pick it up. AS long as you aren't cutting or pulling meat too far in advance, you should be fine.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I didn't even know you could use a alternative heat sources to warm sauce.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
Very illegal... so illegal that you'd get banned for 2 years from contests for that...

You could microwave a sauce... but NEVER EVER meat that was going into a turn in box.

my ribs and chicken come off the pit and into the box, the pork and brisket comes out of a cooler... and is so hot that I need to wear insulated gloves to pick it up. AS long as you aren't cutting or pulling meat too far in advance, you should be fine.

So, heating a sauce on a gas stove is legal, correct?

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice

Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

yes, you can heat a sauce on a gas stove
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
So, heating a sauce on a gas stove is legal, correct?
Yes it is legal to use gas .i use a an electric hotplate to heat sauce which is legal as well
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
it is absolutly illegal to use anything to warm the food except a wood fired pit. You may hold in a cooler or kambro to keep it hot until prep time, but nothing using propane or electricity and that includes microwaves or gas fired ovens.

For me, during a contest, ribs, pork and brisket are usually coming out of a cooler after resting for a bit and are still to hot to handle, and chicken is coming right off the pit.

If needed, you may return it to your pit to set glazes and warm stuff up a bit before going into the boxes, but thats it.. NO ELECTRIC OR GAS.

honestly, if you use a cooler or kambro to hold the meats, there is NO reason to heat it up. They are very hot when the time comes. Also, keep in mind, the hotter the product when it goes into the box, the more they will wilt the greens. When u close the box, it becomes a little steamroom.

I do the same thing, holding my finished products in the cooler before boxing. At dover we had a good spot out of the wind to build our boxes. The pork was to hot to handle coming out of the cooler. But, by the time it was pulled, sorted, sauced and boxed, there was no warmth left. So it went into the box at air temp. I was thinking, if I could zap that pile o pork in the micro, it would solve the problem. But, I had a funny feeling that it was not legal. thanks for the info.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Munkee's Pit
On the road to being a farker

By the time that it gets turned in, re-numbered, taken to the judges, opened and scored for appearance and passed around the judges table, chances are that it is not very hot anymore. I can't remember ever judging an entry that was HOT. Once in a while some warm ones, but most are pretty well cold.
[FONT=Arial]Weber Kettle[/FONT]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Vice President Beta Beta Que Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Munkee's Pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I have always used charcoal to reduce or heat sauces. I might need to read the rules. LOL

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
SmokyOkie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
You may hold in a cooler or kambro to keep it hot until prep time,

What is a kambro?

Tim

www.usbbqsupply.com
SmokyOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's what we call oversized coolers on casters.....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
SmokyOkie
Full Fledged Farker

Thanx. Got any pix?

Tim

www.usbbqsupply.com
SmokyOkie is offline   Reply With Quote