MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #31
Jethro1
On the road to being a farker

So does it run at a certain temp range? Say I'm in Maine. (Thanks for the help.)

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #32
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

It'll run at about 275-290* at the rods regardless of where you are if you leave the intake at the preset.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
Jethro1

Thanks for the help. Seriously debating getting one. I don't imagine you would know how long the sale is going on for?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #34
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro1 View Post
Thanks for the help. Seriously debating getting one. I don't imagine you would know how long the sale is going on for?
Through the end of the year, I believe. Call 'em and ask. I guarantee you'll
get an answer from the owner or his wife almost instantly.

John

Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
Jethro1

That's great. I REALLY appreciate you helping answer questions for a product that's not even yours. I'll call them also. Thanks again. Gonna listen tonight to the radio show (if I can deal with listening to the host.)

Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #36
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

My pleasure. The show was last night, but the podcast is available.

John

Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Well, the short answer is that you don't need to adjust temps. The intake
comes pre-set to your elevation (based on zip code). You only need to adjust
it if you change elevation.

Yes, the exhaust is through the rod holes.

John
Interesting. I didn't know that. Hard to believe they've figured that out. You sure it isn't voodoo?

One last question, how does it adjust for outside temps.? Does it just run colder when it is like 20* outside and you cook longer? Or is there some voodoo magic.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Interesting. I didn't know that. Hard to believe they've figured that out. You sure it isn't voodoo?

One last question, how does it adjust for outside temps.? Does it just run colder when it is like 20* outside and you cook longer? Or is there some voodoo magic.
The powder coat has thermo-molecular voodoo granules that expand at cooler
ambient temperatures to provide a less thermally conductive surface. This keeps
the internal temperature perfectly consistent in all weather conditions.

It's pretty cool.

John

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #39
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Powder/Ceramic coating can be that good. I didn't realize that this unit was coated with such material. That totally changes my opinion of it's cost versus what you get for the money!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #40
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Powder/Ceramic coating can be that good. I didn't realize that this unit was coated with such material. That totally changes my opinion of it's cost versus what you get for the money!
Dudes, it was a joke! It's powder-coated steel, so of course it's subject to cooling in cold
weather. Wow!

John

Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #41
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Dudes, it was a joke! It's powder-coated steel, so of course it's subject to cooling in cold
weather. Wow!

John
Not saying it won't cool in cooler climates. I was saying that there are ceramic coatings out there that will provide a great thermal barrier to cooler temps and could likely operate with the same settings in almost any climate, with very minor adjustments. I thought that such application was used on this product from what you posted. Maybe some clairty so noobies reading this won't get confused would help? I think that more than a few thought you were being serious.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #42
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
It'll run at about 275-290* at the rods regardless of where you are if you leave the intake at the preset.

John

This quote implies that it will run the same temp no matter what, all year around depending on area code as per elevation scale, not based on ambient air temp. I believe you even referenced the elevation being connected to the area code a few posts before this one.

I believe the confusion lies in the fact that there are 70* degree temp swings in the northern states between summer and winter in the same area code? Hence, the question, how exactly does it maintain the same temp in a certain area code all year long using the preset theory?

- Beautiful family

Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #43
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Not saying it won't cool in cooler climates. I was saying that there are ceramic coatings out there that will provide a great thermal barrier to cooler temps and could likely operate with the same settings in almost any climate, with very minor adjustments. I thought that such application was used on this product from what you posted. Maybe some clairty so noobies reading this won't get confused would help? I think that more than a few thought you were being serious.
Sorry, I assumed that my use of the term "voodoo" in context, and the fact that the
cooker isn't built by NASA, would make my attempt at humor obvious.

John

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #44
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Sorry, I assumed that my use of the term "voodoo" in context, and the fact that the
cooker isn't built by NASA, would make my attempt at humor obvious.

John

Ok...I thought that you were just playing along with the word play of the post you were refrencing to bring humor to the powder coating properties. I understood that you were being funny, but I thought that the general content of what you were saying was true based on the thermal retention properties of certain coatings. A thread from a few months ago about a ceramic coated UDS comes to mind in regards to what some coatings can do in this application.

- Beautiful family

Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #45
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
This quote implies that it will run the same temp no matter what, all year around depending on area code as per elevation scale, not based on ambient air temp. I believe you even referenced the elevation being connected to the area code a few posts before this one.

I believe the confusion lies in the fact that there are 70* degree temp swings in the northern states between summer and winter in the same area code? Hence, the question, how exactly does it maintain the same temp in a certain area code all year long using the preset theory?
OK, first I said zip code, not area code. Next, it's a steel cooker that doesn't involve any
magic. The preset intake means that it will burn consistently within normal parameters.
If those parameters (primarily ambient temp, wind, and humidity) change the burn
characteristics also change, which affects cooking time, so you have to adjust as needed.

That's as clear as I know how to make it.

John