MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
stevemiller
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Wanting to learn

I have always loved to cook and have tried several kinds of cooking methods. When I came onto this true BBq /smoking I was hooked. I now have a drum that I made(my love) with the help of 250 pages of information.I have a very heavy duty homemade water smoker, and a offset smoker.
My problem is the food I cook is OK but I want it great like the stuff the brotherhood turns out.I want my Q to nock the socks off everyone that tries it. My food is OK, smoked, dry and tough. I cook a chuck roast to medium rare and it is tough and dry.I know that most of you have put years and years into what you do, but is there a way that I could get a leg up and get a good start.I would very much appreciate all the help.

P.s I was out in 10 below weather cooking some smoked,dried up beef yesterday at 260 inside my drum , I have the urge,Please help!
Steve
stevemiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

if you end up with a dry product try injecting, Buthers blend is good stuff. Try broths and juices or for a good start try Chris Lilly's injection, you can find that here on the forum.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Just start reading everything on here and ask a ton of questions. Nothing hard about that. Just like the mega thread on building a uds there are a ton of threads on how to's on cooking. I think temp and practice are key. I just did my first two butts and following what has been written they came out fantastic!! I just need to find a rub that suits me, but that's another thread. My next challange will be a brisket, but I may try the hot and fast method. So I will need to do some research to see how it is done by those that do it often.

Oh, come to think of it my first ribs(although were good) didn't come out like I thought they would or should. Final analysis.....didn't cook long enough!! Lesson learned.

Good luck,
Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Yup, these guys are right. Use the google search at the bottom of the page and just read lots! Don't forget the roadmap thread at the top too! I has links to most everything you could ever need.

Technique means SO much in BBQ. Read all you can and see what works for you.

Good luck and keep at it!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

I'm pretty new to this as well, and I've slowly been finding that constant experience is the path. The roadmap here has lots of answers to questions you haven't had yet and I just keep reading this site on a regular basis. I learn something everytime I pop on the site. And from the threads I read, hardened veterans appear to still be learning as well.

That's the real key: never stop learning. Experiment and try. Change variables, but not the entire equation. Ask yourself lot sof questions.

As for your chuckies:
I picked up a pack of pork spareribs a few weeks back (0.80 cents alb, why not?) and ruined 3/4 of them by taking them off too early. Dry and tough as nails. I left one section on the grill an extra two hours and they were definitely heading in the right direction, pulling apart and soft. Forgot to remove the silverskin though, d'oh! Just another experiment for next time.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasePig View Post
Yup, these guys are right. Use the google search at the bottom of the page and just read lots! Don't forget the roadmap thread at the top too! I has links to most everything you could ever need.

Technique means SO much in BBQ. Read all you can and see what works for you.

Good luck and keep at it!
What he said ^^^

You just have to keep practicing until you get better.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
SteelSmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Make sure your temp is consistent low and slow fat side up I cook just about everything between 250 and 275 find a nice rub to start and then little things u like to make it yours same with injections and practice with cheaper meats that way if they don't turn out the way u plan your not out that much. Try Aaron pork butt about 8 pounds mine I like to score and rub with frenches yellow mustard and my favorite pork rub wrap in foil put in fridge over night put on smoker fat side up at 250-260 about a hour and a half per pound take off around 190 take off warp in foil and a towel put a cooler for another hour to hour and a half pull and serve
SteelSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

And just always remember that you're not the only one on this board "learning". Just because the pics look good doesn't mean it taste good. I know that from experience. There are a lot of amateurs on this board (myself included) that are continuing to make mistakes and learn.

Keep asking tons of questions, trial and error. But the main thing is to have fun.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

dry & tough. Tough comes either from not cooking enough (tough inside), or from
cooking at too high heat (surface temps), or ALL the fat was rendered and it just
toughened up...

Injection will take care of the dry part. I suggest starting with a simple low-sodium
beef broth that's perhaps seasoned a little with your rub. That should take care of
that part. The tough, kinda depends. 260 degrees, if that's the surface temps,
for a 10lb brisket, could run you roughly 8.5 to 9 hours.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
And just always remember that you're not the only one on this board "learning". Just because the pics look good doesn't mean it taste good. I know that from experience. There are a lot of amateurs on this board (myself included) that are continuing to make mistakes and learn.

Keep asking tons of questions, trial and error. But the main thing is to have fun.
AMEN! There are those here that seem to always turn out great looking BBQ consistently, but most of us are still learning and adjusting how we do things from cook to cook. (Just check out MY threads from this past weekend LOL)

Never be afraid to ask and never stop learning.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
I cook a chuck roast to medium rare and it is tough and dry.
Hi Steve... Medium rare isn't really a good temp for a chuck. Try cooking ti until it hits 195 - 200 degrees. Your thermometer probe should slide in like going into butter. I try to buy big chucks (5-7 lbs). I find that they cook better. Once you hit those temps and the probe goes in easily you can then pull the chuck and sauce from some great sandwiches.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

While all of the above is great advise, I think the most important thing is to ask questions... We here have a history of helping each other out...

Got a question, ask it... See a question you have experience with, answer it...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
landarc

I found the Roadmap invaluable in picking up the tips and tricks the Brethren have as a collective. I have been cooking over fire and coals for 40 years and I am still learning.
Same with in the kitchen. I would recommend you post your results and let the rest of us answer and advise what we see and think.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Medium Rare and Low n Slow dont really go together very well, in my humble opinion....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
chambersuac

You can learn a LOT here - I agree with the previous posts that say search, ask, or both. Welcome!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote