Tastings?

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that don't have resturants or food trailers, how do you handle tastings? Research seems to show that if its not over a certain amount then charge for tastings. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If it is a tasting of something that I am making for an event in the near future I will usually just take a little from the event and hold them for a person or 2 people to try for free. If it is I want to try x+y+z then I will quote them for a sampler pack and make them dinner or a nice snack if it for a large group.
I.E. our executive committee wants to try your brisket before we commit to ordering our Christmas party. A nice tray with some small amount of sides for 10 people is going to be $40. No money made but it got the product out there for people to try. That being said I will never do more than 1 sample for a client. These are not free and take time and $ away from the business.

Long answer I hope it helps.

We charge $150 for a private tasting, they choose 2 meats and 3 sides to "Taste" and discuss their event. If they book us and the food & beverage portion of the invoice is more than $3000 we credit the tasting fee toward the final payment. If we are vending in the near future and they want to stop by during that time we'll give them free samples.

We used to do free tastings until a girl showed up for a tasting for her wedding and told me before even trying our food that she was not having barbecue at her wedding but a friend of hers said she needed to try our barbecue (like it was her bridal right for me to do a tasting) I let her try it anyways and kept my composure. She didn't book and I've charged a fee ever since.

Back