Jalapeno/ABT Steel Grill/Tray Suggestions

BigBarry

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite rig that can be ordered online?

I am looking for a 24 hole unit, nothing fancy. Quality steel.

Found a bunch of styles/grades but not sure what is good.

Is # 10 steel better than #14?

BigBarry said:
Anyone have a favorite rig that can be ordered online?

I am looking for a 24 hole unit, nothing fancy. Quality steel.

Found a bunch of styles/grades but not sure what is good.

Is # 10 steel better than #14?
With extra large holes for the hyrdrogen buffalo turds?

I'm happy with the $10 ones from Academy. I don't use them much since I slarted cutting them into boats lengthwise.

barfly said:
With extra large holes for the hyrdrogen buffalo turds?

Dang funny!! I forgot about those!! I'll have to find a special rig for those whoppers!

I made some like these out of stainless. They clean up nice and 2 racks fit well side by side in medium Weber
abtsbefore.jpg

abtsafter.jpg

Going to try lollipops with these.

Speaking of the chile trays, does anyone spray Pam on them for easy cleanup?

I tried the Pam spray last night and it seemed to work great. The gunk damn near just rinsed off...

Norcoredneck - Let us know how the lollipops fit in those trays. I have some that look just like that. I got them at Academy.

And, let us know how you like the lollipops! I want to try making some soon. Don't forget the pics!

This is how I am going to try;
http://www.cackalacky.com/lollipops.htm

I am going to use honey mustard during cooking.
And going to also use the BBq sauce Big Mista brought to my dads send off. Not many things have went down the gullet without at least a dribble since last weekend. Good stuff. :biggrin:

Norcoredneck said:
This is how I am going to try;
http://www.cackalacky.com/lollipops.htm

I am going to use honey mustard during cooking.
And going to also use the BBq sauce Big Mista brought to my dads send off. Not many things have went down the gullet without at least a dribble since last weekend. Good stuff. :biggrin:

THAT's the reference I was looking for :redface: :lol:

Too early--not enough caffine yet!

Thanks,

TIM

Norcoredneck said:
Kapn,
Have you made these? If so did you remove some or all skin?
Thanks.

Been making a lot of them in the last couple of months, both the leg and wing versions. "Xperimenting".

"Skin on" for sure. Lots of good flavor there.

Two things I have learned.
1. I "Smooth" the skin around tight--makes a good looking snack.
2. I "dip" in a finishing sauce and put back on smoker to complete the cook.
But, I only dip the meat part.
Leaves a nice dry handle for eating :lol:

Good luck.

TIM

Kapn & Norco

Thanks for the help with the lollipops. Also that jap corer from irondesert is the chit! It works great.

g

The corer is worth the money... get a couple, in fact. And wear gloves when making them.

I like the irondesert.com chile grills. They're a bit more $$, but they have build in handles and look great. I have a 36 hole grill that's rectangular, and I'm getting a read chile shaped grill, too. Friends like the grill... I serve right in it.

Before I bought a holder, I flipped an alum. pan upside down and cut several "X" patterns in the bottom. I then just pushed the ABT into the "X" and it made the perfect sized hole.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will go with Iron Desert for the look and quality. You get what you pay for, I guess. I'll get a corer, too!

Also, I saw those chicken lollipops on a Bobby Flay BBQ show. Looked real good!

I just ordered a 48 holes rack and 4 coring tools myself from Cabela's. Must be a lot of abt makers thoug cause its all back ordered.

Back