MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #3826
MadKirk
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice thread folks! I'm probably asking a question that has been answered before, but does anyone think there would be a problem using brass wire to fasten the expanded metal to the grill when building the charcoal basket? Since brass is used for burners, I assumed it would be safe for this purpose, but you know what happens when you assume...

Thanks!
MadKirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #3827
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

I have a couple brass parts in my UDS and UDG no problem.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #3828
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

This is a great thread with a lot of info...I've read quite a bit of it but still have quite away to go. I was reading last night while my second barrel burn cooled down. I found a reconditioned drum for about 20$..Being reconditioned they couldn't be sure what was in it, but from the code # they had, there should'nt have been anything hazardous in it....In the reconditioning process it was put through as blast furnace and burnt back to bare metal..Then repainted on the outside and some kind of rust prventative on the inside...I burned it twice withe flames a foot or two above the top...Each burn went about three hours...It got hot enough on the bottom to burn the paint off the outside, but only discolored the paint on the top.

Think that's hot enough or should I do it again, until I burn all of the paint off?
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #3829
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't worry about the outside. Wash the inside out and start building.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #3830
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKirk View Post
Nice thread folks! does anyone think there would be a problem using brass wire

Thanks!
I used some copper wire to tie mine together, I figure if people think a copper bracelet is good for their arthritis, then its probably ok to help make my meat tender!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #3831
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the help man!...I'll have some pics soon....Can't seem to find that used webber grill...Dang!

firecrakerjack

Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #3832
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Burried somewhere in this thread. Normal paint will work at normal operating temps. Car engine paint can take higher temps. imho the powder coated one was one of the nicest finishes.

that said - I started with an unlined barrel, so did not need to do the high temp burnout - mine still has stock paint.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #3833
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

You can also try wood stove paint. I bought some but haven't used it yet. It states on the can that it is good to 1200F. Within an hour or two of applying the paint, you're supposed to cure it for an hour at 400F or above. Probably could withstand a grease fire if cured correctly.

Anyone tried it yet? I've been putting it off.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #3834
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

I'm going to try and burn my barrel this weekend with a weed burner. I picked up some normal spray paint yesterday, as I had difficulty finding the color I want in any high temp/engine enamel.

Hopefully be posting some pics this weekend....

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #3835
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
Thanks for the help man!...I'll have some pics soon....Can't seem to find that used webber grill...Dang!

firecrakerjack
Try joining this group and asking for used 22" webers.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Michigan

Dave

Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #3836
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrebel View Post
Try joining this group and asking for used 22" webers.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Michigan

Dave
I tried joining that group when I was looking for a used kettle and the farkers denied my application. Thank goodness I found a kettle on CL.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #3837
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I tried joining that group when I was looking for a used kettle and the farkers denied my application. Thank goodness I found a kettle on CL.

Thats funny. I got accepted but had to give something away before they would post my Wanted ad. FFS people, I'm recycling here !!!

Davew

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #3838
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Alright man! After a bunch of runnin' around today; hardware stores-more hardware stores, down to the local steel fabricators to see the welder feller'...Well I was able to get the uds together enough to do a seasoning burn...Had a littlle trouble getting her going because I thought she was getting too hot, too quick, so I did a dumb thing and shut down the intake too much. It about snuffed the fire but I caught her at about 150* by removing all available caps and the other vent cap, then she started to climb again. Slowly at first, but before long she was back at about 220*. So I started puttin' caps and plugs back on..Got her to regulate at about 280*, stayed there for a good hour...Then a little spike to 300*, so I adjusted the intake. 45 minutes later she's about 260.....All in all I think she's doin' fine, and I'm pretty excited about gettin' her dirty with a butt, and some baby-backs this weekend...
With my selection of materials for the build, the coal basket is settin' up about an inch too high...I've only got 23" between the charcoal grate and the bottom rack...Hope it'll be ok????!!!
Still can't seem to be able to find that used webber kettle...Dang!...Supposed to rain some tomorrow....Good day for yard sales...Huumm???...I'll be cookin' with or without come sunday...Here's some pics.

This has been a fun project, and I want to take time to thank everyone for this thread. It's been a lot of help,(even though I still got a lot of readin' to do to finsh).

Firecrackerjack

Be prepared she's not real cute!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #3839
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like your a go!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #3840
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Nearly seven hours in it's stll at 240*. Gave the basket a shake..Goin' to check again and then goin' to bed...Check it again later, or first thing in the morning.
Would it burn better If I put the eight half-inch holes in the top instead of the stack in the 2" bung hole?

Thanks again,
Firecrackerjack

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker