Gonna try high heat ribs. Any Tips?

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After having awesome success with high heat butts i'm going to try it on ribs tonight. Gonna run 275-300 on the TnT and see how it goes. Any tips? From what I've read they should be done in about 3-3.5hrs.

Also gonna gone try something new with skin off chicken thighs. I don't have quarters which I normally use for pulled chicken and I read a post where someone talked about getting more smoke flavor into the meat while it still stayed juicy.

I'll put up pics later too.

Due to the high heat you are not going to want much if any sugar in your rub. Also, you need to be careful not to burn your glaze at the end.

Other than that it just takes much less time.

When I'm pressed for time I do them at 350°F in the kettle. They come out great.

Due to the high heat you are not going to want much if any sugar in your rub. Also, you need to be careful not to burn your glaze at the end.

Other than that it just takes much less time.

Well that is funny because I just made a big batch of rub the other day and used less sugar just to see how it differs. Thanks for the tip.

I've had success at 275. But not above that. Mine were dry.

I've done them on a Performer, 450° at the dome, indirect heat, 1.5hrs or so. Protocol was posted by Big Al I think (his might have taken less time). They didn't suck!

I do mine at 275 for 2 hours, foil for 45 minutes, then sauce to finish. Total time about 3 hours sometimes 3.5 if I foil for an hour.

Here they are after about 1.5hrs. Meat is pulling back quickly.
2011-07-20_17-35-10_663.jpg

I always start my ribs with indirect high heat but after browning and smoking for about 2 hrs, I put them in a pan with some water, cover with foil and finish cooking them indirectly @ about 250 until tender. It usually takes about 3.5-4hrs total.

I use a modified Harry Soo method, 3.5 hours turn out awesome every time. What is your target time for cooking? 3.5 is as close as I want them.

Here they are done. Ran about 300 the whole time. Foiled after 2.45hrs and back on for about .45. I might foil them earlier next time, but for a first attempt they were great. Decent smoke in them and fairly juicy. Not the best ever but good for the time.

2011-07-20_19-48-43_596.jpg

2011-07-20_19-52-44_325.jpg

Those look really yummy!...I just tried my first hi-temp cook of ribs, and I'm a big fan of it now myself....keep it up!!!:thumb:

Back