Need a refresher w/ butts and brisket

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been doing butts for a while, but since I started experimenting for comps I have gotten off my game. I am still getting a good flavor, but my moistness is going. I am injecting with apple cider and AC Vinegar with a little rub mixed in, ribbing and letting sit for about 4-6 hours before smoking. Cook at 225* pit temp and I foil at about 165* and pull around 195* meat temp, and let rest for 2 hours or more ideally.

Not sure why, but it seems to be drying out a little and I never had this problem before. My last few butts have been consistent this way. I am not sure if it is the new cooker (new stumps) or what.

As for brisket, I have not been cooking it that long, but I have had one that was really tender and sliced easily and all the rest are really tender but tend to shred rather than slice and are also going to the dry side. I inject with a custom injection of Dr. P, beef broth, maple syrup, woosy, and some other spices and rub. The briskets normally go strait on and sometimes may rest up to an hour. I cook more or less like the pork (same temps for cooking and foiling, etc.). I try to get it to the probe butter test but have only got that with one brisket (at around 196*) all the other briskets I never get to that exact consistency and will not leave them on higher than 200-205* as I get nervous that they are really drying out.

Any advice on what I should change? Cooking temps, injection ingredients, etc?

Make sure and calibrate your thermometers if you haven't done that for a while.

You are overcooking your briskets for certain. If it crumbles when you slice it, it is overcooked. Try pulling them off at 195 or 190 if put in a dry cooler to rest. How does the Dr. P and maple syrup injection taste?

As for the pork, if you're buying the same kind from the same place maybe it's the pork? It could also be the learning curve on the new smoker. If you can pull the bone out, the pork is done. I usually pull the pork off around 190 and leave foiled in the dry cooler for a couple of hours.

I was told that injecting with AC Vinegar can make the meat mushy. Try wrapping it @ 165 degrees

If it's a new cooker, why not go back to basics and skip the foiling. You may not need to do it. I discovered that I am getting great ribs in my Spicewine with no foil. Same with butts. Try cooking your butts to about 185, foil and put in the cooler. Temp will go up before it comes down. Just an idea.

combo of cider AND vinegar maybe drawing out the moisture?

Back