MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #16
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by chett.l View Post
The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side. Would like to also say the we all tasted the nice smoke from the smoker which was really coming off a gas grill.

Thank you.
I'm confused. Did you cook these on a pellet cooker or gas grill? Or did you smoke on a pellet cooker and sear on a gas grill?
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #17
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks tasty!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #18
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
I'm confused. Did you cook these on a pellet cooker or gas grill? Or did you smoke on a pellet cooker and sear on a gas grill?
All on the pellet smoker. No gas.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #19
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you Jeanie.

Nice to meet you on T.B.B.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #20
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Congratulations on the new cooker.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 PM   #21
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Hi Jeremy,

The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side.

Thank you.
Depends on the thickness of your meat. Go by temperature. 135 is medium rare, 145 medium, 155 medium well. Make sure the probe is in the middle and cook to your temp. If you want medium,go till it hits 140, then you are ready to sear a minute or two each side.You should be close to 145 after that.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #22
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Looking good

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #23
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side. Would like to also say the we all tasted the nice smoke from the smoker which was really coming off a gas grill.

Thank you.
I think you are more worried about the technique and process than the desired finished product. Start with what you want to end result to be then work backwards. And a big part of that is the kind of steak you are starting out with. I alter my technique to the steak, not the other way around. If I have a steak about the thickness of the ones you showed, no way I am trying a reverse sear. Just too thin. For those kind of steaks, I am doing a hot and fast sear. Crank your pit up as hot as you can get it and sear about 5 minutes per side more or less. I say that because I don't know how hot your grill can get. On my Rec Tec with grill grates, I get up to around 450 and for medium rare do about 5-5.5 minutes per side, turning halfway for cross-hatches. On my Primo, I am blasting around 650 and only need 3.5 to 4.5 minutes per side. But with a much thicker steak, that technique wouldn't work so well because I would end up with a thick band of well done meat and a thick band of rare in the middle. I reverse sear those.

My suggestion is to invest in some grill grates. practice both techniques of hot and fast and reverse sear. Plenty threads here to follow.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #24
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
Depends on the thickness of your meat. Go by temperature. 135 is medium rare, 145 medium, 155 medium well. Make sure the probe is in the middle and cook to your temp. If you want medium,go till it hits 140, then you are ready to sear a minute or two each side.You should be close to 145 after that.
Hi Jeremy,

I notice that some put the meat prob through the side in the middle and some through the top. All trying not to touch the bone or hunks of fat.

Thank you.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #25
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
I think you are more worried about the technique and process than the desired finished product. Start with what you want to end result to be then work backwards. And a big part of that is the kind of steak you are starting out with. I alter my technique to the steak, not the other way around. If I have a steak about the thickness of the ones you showed, no way I am trying a reverse sear. Just too thin. For those kind of steaks, I am doing a hot and fast sear. Crank your pit up as hot as you can get it and sear about 5 minutes per side more or less. I say that because I don't know how hot your grill can get. On my Rec Tec with grill grates, I get up to around 450 and for medium rare do about 5-5.5 minutes per side, turning halfway for cross-hatches. On my Primo, I am blasting around 650 and only need 3.5 to 4.5 minutes per side. But with a much thicker steak, that technique wouldn't work so well because I would end up with a thick band of well done meat and a thick band of rare in the middle. I reverse sear those.

My suggestion is to invest in some grill grates. practice both techniques of hot and fast and reverse sear. Plenty threads here to follow.
I think what I am after and achieved was adding lots smoke into the steak even though I over cooked the steak. Adding smoke in the steak is new kind of taste for us with the new smoker. Thank you for your suggestions, good to think about.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #26
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Hi Jeremy,

I notice that some put the meat prob through the side in the middle and some through the top. All trying not to touch the bone or hunks of fat.

Thank you.
You want to get the middle. If you stick it through the side, make sure you have it level. I will also just pick it up with tongs and bend it over, then probe into the middle, keeping away from the outside the best I can.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #27
Chett. L
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
You want to get the middle. If you stick it through the side, make sure you have it level. I will also just pick it up with tongs and bend it over, then probe into the middle, keeping away from the outside the best I can.
Thank you.