Anyone have a good chicken marinade?

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Happy 4th to all. Looking for a good chicken marinade for drums and thighs. Here a couple I really enjoy but looking for something new:

Huli Huli Chicken
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sherry
1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1-2-more pieces ginger root, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Worchestershire sauce to taste
Sriracha or Asian chili paste (or red pepper flakes)
Squeeze a lemon in if you've got one

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery sal

Cornell Chicken. But cut way down on the salt from the original recipe.

A lot of my family really likes this Jerk marinade. One says it is the best they have ever had.

For simple (I dont usually measure) I like 1/4 cup soy sauce, /4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 3 or 4 tbsp spicy or dijon mustard, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic minced or pressed, 2 or 3 tbsp of olive oil. If you want spicier, add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.

Last edited:
My go-to, since I always have these on hand:

50% zesty italian dressing
50% soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
Some hot sauce to taste

Combine with chicken in a bag, marinate for up to 24 hours.

Always makes for decent bird. Even when I forget to add any seasoning before cooking like I did the last time I smoked some leg quarters, whoops.

Cornell Chicken. But cut way down on the salt from the original recipe.

I second this, and I like the 24 to 30 hour marinade, and reserve some for basting. Actually I reserve 2 containers, one for the initial basting, and the second for the final round of basting so nothing is ever cross contaminated. My Grandfather used to make Cornell chicken (aka Firehouse chicken) in the 60's.

Not sure if you've ever seen this PAMPHLET , but it has Baker's designs for some pits, a diagram to set-up serving stations, several lists with recommended sides, and how to scale the recipe for up to 300 (which takes 30 eggs!)

My go-to, since I always have these on hand:

50% zesty italian dressing
50% soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
Some hot sauce to taste

Combine with chicken in a bag, marinate for up to 24 hours.

Always makes for decent bird. Even when I forget to add any seasoning before cooking like I did the last time I smoked some leg quarters, whoops.

I use italian dressing as well, but i find 24 hours is too long. The vinegar in the dressing really messes with the texture and makes it rubbery. I usually dont go any more then 4 hours.

maybe because you dilute it with worcestershire it doesn't affect it as bad, but i would warn anyone just using straight dressing to cut way back on marinate time.

Happy 4th to all. Looking for a good chicken marinade for drums and thighs. Here a couple I really enjoy but looking for something new:

Huli Huli Chicken
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sherry
1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1-2-more pieces ginger root, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Worchestershire sauce to taste
Sriracha or Asian chili paste (or red pepper flakes)
Squeeze a lemon in if you've got one

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery sal

You put anything else on the roadside while cooking? Looks great

Sometimes we eat an inordinate amount of chicken and I am always looking for a marinade to change things up. Toe of our "Go To's" has been Olive Gardens Itallian Dressing ( which is great on grilled veggies), or Ken's Asian Vinaigrette . Dont let them sit for over two hours, but they do add a great flavor.

Sometimes we eat an inordinate amount of chicken and I am always looking for a marinade to change things up. Toe of our "Go To's" has been Olive Gardens Itallian Dressing ( which is great on grilled veggies), or Ken's Asian Vinaigrette . Dont let them sit for over two hours, but they do add a great flavor.

I will try the OG italian next time. I ended up just doing a Frankenstein marinade.

Zesty italian
worchesire sauce
balsamic vinegar
Dijon mustard
black pepper
chili paste
garlic (chopped)

This should get the job done!

Cornell Chicken Marinade

It is best to let the chicken soak in the marinade for at least 24 hours according to the creator. It is best used when grilling chicken over hot charcoal, but it will also work well on a gas grill on high heat as well. Move the chicken back and fourth between direct and indirect heat to allow even cooking of the chicken. This produces a very and moist flavorful chicken with a very thin crispy skin.

Professor Robert Baker's Original Cornell Recipe -
https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/2652
https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/2652/bbq.pdf

Recipe for Cornell Chicken Barbeque Sauce (enough for 10 halves):
http://hamilton.cce.cornell.edu/resources/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-and-safe-chicken-barbecues

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper per taste
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
store in the refrigerator
Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce (Roadside Chicken), passed away at age 84 on March 13, 2006.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg white and yolk together with a balloon whisk or a hand mixer. Add the oil and whisk until it gets thick, and bright yellow, for about 2 minutes. Now whisk in the vinegar, salt, seasoning, and pepper.

Stab the chicken skin several times with a fork or knife so the marinade can get in and so fat can get out when cooking. This will help make the skin crispy. Marinate the chicken for 3 to 4 hours in ziploc bags in the fridge. Turn the bag every hour or so, so that all surfaces get well coated.

Set up the grill for 2-zone cooking. Try to get the indirect side in the 225°F range. Place the chicken over the indirect zone and close the lid. Every 5 to 10 minutes baste with the marinade, turn the chickens on both sides, then rotate the chickens every 20 minutes so they cook evenly.

Cook about 60 to 90 minutes until the internal temperature of each part is 150°F and stop basting. Exact time will depend on how thick the meat is, and how often you basted. Then move them over the hot direct heat side of the grill, skin side down. Remove the lid, and crisp the skin without burning it for 10 to 15 minutes. turn and heat for about 5 minutes more. This step is important to finish the cooking of the meat, crisp the skins, and make sure everything is sterile since it contains raw egg. When the skin is crisp and the internal temp is 165°F, take the meat off. Even if it is a bit red in there when you cut in, it is safe at 165°F. You cannot judge a chicken's safety by the color of the juices! I strongly recommend you use a fast read digital thermometers like a thermapen to make sure your poultry is cooked properly for taste and safety.

I prefer the origonal recipe as listed above, but Other ingredients may be add if desired (suggestions listed below).....

2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon white pepper per taste
1/2 tsp ground celery seed

For me, if I want something in a pinch and easy this is extremely hard to beat

3140DiAktgL.jpg

In college there was an older gentleman near campus that sold grilled chicken. I asked him his secret. He told me he soaked his chicken overnight. He’d cover chicken with water and add either a cup of garlic powder or a cup of onion powder. I asked which was best and he replied “whichever is on sale”

Salamida State Fair Spiedie Sauce works well too. Like Italian dressing you can keep it in stock.

Back