Eggplant Rollatini

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've posted this before but it's always worth another look. From Chef Pasquale/Orsara Recipes though Chef makes his in the oven.

Start off with a pot of Tomato Sauce simmering on the stove early in the afternoon -

z4eQrM7.jpg

Eggplant of course -

Su3dIRC.jpg

Mix together the filling of Ricotta, Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, one Egg, Fresh Basil from the garden and S&P -

AlvJVpk.jpg

Take some of the Eggplant outer layer off, slice the eggplant lengthwise into rather thick slices, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with S&P and out onto the grill they go -

mqsNPTh.jpg

5ixvp10.jpg

Nicely charred and perfect texture after about 10 minutes -

37T5m8p.jpg

Set the Golden's up with the double tier of racks so the baking dish will be high in the dome. Baking temp was about 325F, indirect with the searing plate in place -

etJo6Zg.jpg

Let the eggplant cool a bit. Spread the filling on one end and roll the eggplant slices -

zpQH3w8.jpg

All set for the grill. We'll add a layer of Mozzarella near the end of the cook in about a half hour -

CP37Isz.jpg

QOCR10K.jpg

8tIQpTq.jpg

Fc0Ppsi.jpg

Resting -

1MgEbr7.jpg

Dinner is served -

lhAZii7.jpg

5qwRaRN.jpg

QgP6t2J.jpg

Easy to make and incredibly good! The only thing missing would be a loaf of Italian bread. Next time.

Thanks for checking in on this post and today's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Dom,

As usual this looks fantastic. Thanks for posting, we have some friends coming over for the 4th and they are one of those "vegetarian" type folks... I guess I know what they will be eating :-D

Thanks,
Greg

Dom,

As usual this looks fantastic. Thanks for posting, we have some friends coming over for the 4th and they are one of those "vegetarian" type folks... I guess I know what they will be eating :-D

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, a dish like this would be ideal for them. They won't be able to resist.

Looks delish...I do a similiar thing with Zucchini. Thanks for the reminder.

Amen

** have y’all read the health benefits of eggplant? Good stuff

Looks delicious!

Have you ever tried a bit of fresh parsley mixed with the cheeses?
I put some parsley in my ravioli and really like the flavor

Is there a way to reheat eggplant? That looks like it makes more than we could eat at once, and I've never had eggplant maintain texture when served as leftovers.

Looks delicious!

Have you ever tried a bit of fresh parsley mixed with the cheeses?
I put some parsley in my ravioli and really like the flavor

The recipe does call for it, but all I had was dry. Decided our basil plants needed some leaves removed and went with it as a substitute. Next up: pesto.

The dry was ok the last time I made this and i agree that fresh parsley would be much better.

Dom,

Thanks,
Greg

Dom,

Great looking dish. Greg,(don't know how to do double quotes) I'm sure that if you wanted to kick this up for the non-veg folks, you could add Italian sausage and it would be a really good dish.

Robert

Is there a way to reheat eggplant? That looks like it makes more than we could eat at once, and I've never had eggplant maintain texture when served as leftovers.

We finished the rest off last night, they reheated nicely in the microwave. They don't look as pretty but the taste is just as good and the texture doesn't change much.

The Mrs requested I make these again this weekend for a 4th of July appetizer. On the menu.

Back