MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Bigmista's Turn-in boxes

Here are my turn in boxes for the contest I did yesterday. Let me know how you would score them. Please give me your first impression within the 1st 10 seconds of seeing like a judge would have to do. Don't study it for 10 minutes and say "The third parley leaf on the right has a drop of sauce on it."

BTW...if was my first time doing a contest all on my own.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
topchefvt52
Knows what a fatty is.

That all looks pretty good to me. You've got guts to present chicken breasts :)

The slice of brisket in the back of the box looks very thick but that may just be my old eyes.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Chicken looks great ! 9
Ribs, the color, shine, etc look great, 9. ( I don't care for the meat placement though, but the ribs themselves look great, nicely cut too)
Pork meat to me looks a bit dull. 7 or maybe an 8. Nice placement though !. make it look moist and shiny, and some color, solid 9.
Brisket looks pretty decent. 8.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken - 6 grill marks look contrived
Ribs - 5 haphazard placement appear to be just put in the box
pork - 6 average just chunks not pull and/or sliced placement could almost be considered marking
brisket - 5 resembles pot roast and really thick slices probably overdone

that is what I would have scored and am a cbj and cook both and would have filled out a comment card with these statements
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken - 9
Ribs-7
Pork-7
Brisket-8

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

-Chicken looks absolutely great!! Nice shine not over sauced!(9)

-Ribs look good too. The rib at the bottom left is not rectangular but that's my only critique. Nice glaze, not over sauced and I like the arrangement! (8 )

-Pork I like the texture of your greens. My only critique is I would make certain to make sure every chunk has some bark on it. Although maybe they do but you flipped them for the every-other design. Nice work. ( 8 )

-Brisket looks so moist and tender. Color is good too. The back slice seems really thick to me but maybe its the camera angle. The grain on the left of those slices look so delicious. I guess the only critique and this may be because the camera emphasizes this is to make sure you brush your finishing liquid is evenly spread over the meat. It looked a little splotchy.( 8 )

Also great work with the greens!

So what were your scores and at what comp?
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Chicken - 9
Ribs - 6
Pork - 8
Brisket - 7

Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Smokin' Bad Habit
On the road to being a farker

Chicken - 9
Ribs - 8
pork -7 (i like to see me bark) nice placement
Brisket - 8
over all looks pretty damm good!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Chicken - 9
Ribs - 6
Pork - 8
Brisket - 7
I am asking this as a serious question and not an attack on the score. What was it about the ribs that made it a 6? I'm asking this as a contest cook who is looking to improve, not trying to stir the pot.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
brockportbbqfest
Knows what a fatty is.

chix 8 - breast is tough, lots of courage to do that. I personally like a good thigh. Are the grill marks real, or branded on?
ribs 8 - I would always put a min of 8 ribs in the box. Remember you got 6 judges and you want to make sure the last one has at least 3 to choose from.
pork 9 - love the presentation here. Makes me want to try it.
brisket 7 - cut a touch thinner maybe. A bit of fat on the bottom of the piece closest to the camera.

Overall not bad though! Nice job!

I am a CBJ too.
brockportbbqfest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
anygrill
On the road to being a farker

Im no judge. But I am a Chef. All of the presentations look good so I would give a 7 on that.
The grill marks on the chicken along with the shineyness of the sauce looks great. So a 8 would be given.
The Ribs. Oh the ribs look fantastic, moist and I would be honered to run one of those pig cicles between my lips.. So a 10
The pulled pork. At first glance it kinda looked like BBQ chicken legs because It hadn't been pulled, but it looks moist and has a very nice color. so a 6
The brisket looks dry and a little thick. As a Chef it looks like you may have been rushed or you thought you didnt have the time to have it ready for the judges so you cut it too early. A 5 for that.
LIke I said im no judge. It is hard for anyone to judge on Pron alone. Other factors such as smell and taste are involved with overall scoring ( I would think ).
Like my Grandmother always said " The proof is in the pudding "
Im sure you did well in the comp.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2010&month=6&id=2217

I like that chicken box
We went very traditional at this contest
12th place over all
4th in Ribs
8th Brisket
Reserve in Best Booth
1st in Most Creative PC items
Cobblers, Pig Candy Tri Tip, Meat Balls

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchefvt52 View Post
That all looks pretty good to me. You've got guts to present chicken breasts :)

The slice of brisket in the back of the box looks very thick but that may just be my old eyes.
I figured I plan to only do one comp this year so why not go out swinging. That is actually 2 slices in the back. Camera angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
Chicken - 6 grill marks look contrived
Ribs - 5 haphazard placement appear to be just put in the box
pork - 6 average just chunks not pull and/or sliced placement could almost be considered marking
brisket - 5 resembles pot roast and really thick slices probably overdone

that is what I would have scored and am a cbj and cook both and would have filled out a comment card with these statements
The grill marks were contrived. I've been planning it for weeks. I showed the rep my pork box and he didn't have any problem with it. And he is a KCBS board member. And I thought as a KCBS Judges you are supposed to judge the meat in the box, instead of what isn't in the box. Your statement suggests that you would mark down because there isn't any sliced or pulled. Perhaps a refresher course is in order? Glad all judges aren't as tough as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post
-Chicken looks absolutely great!! Nice shine not over sauced!(9)

-Ribs look good too. The rib at the bottom left is not rectangular but that's my only critique. Nice glaze, not over sauced and I like the arrangement! (8 )

-Pork I like the texture of your greens. My only critique is I would make certain to make sure every chunk has some bark on it. Although maybe they do but you flipped them for the every-other design. Nice work. ( 8 )

-Brisket looks so moist and tender. Color is good too. The back slice seems really thick to me but maybe its the camera angle. The grain on the left of those slices look so delicious. I guess the only critique and this may be because the camera emphasizes this is to make sure you brush your finishing liquid is evenly spread over the meat. It looked a little splotchy.( 8 )

Also great work with the greens!

So what were your scores and at what comp?
My plan on the pork was to present alternating pieces of bark and interior meat for the judges. You'll notice there are 6 pieces of each.

Here are my places

Chicken 32nd
Ribs 10th
Pork 26th
Brisket 5th.

13th Overall out of 57 teams. Biggest KCBS contest in California ever.

I'll post my appearance scores in a bit.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
I am asking this as a serious question and not an attack on the score. What was it about the ribs that made it a 6? I'm asking this as a contest cook who is looking to improve, not trying to stir the pot.
I don't mind at all.

My first thought when seeing the box is confused and makes it hard to think I want to eat it when I can't focus on the meat.

I think the layout is definitely the problem because when I went back to look at the box and pay more attention I thought maybe I scored it to low. But with only a couple of seconds to score I guess that is what happens.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Bigmista

Appearance Scores:

Chicken 9 9 8 8 7 8
Ribs 8 7 8 7 9 8
Pork 8 8 8 8 8 8
Brisket 9 9 8 9 9 7

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott