MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Big Poppa Drum Kit you can't go wrong with especially since it has great versatility with grilling and searing options not too mention being a great smoker like any other UDS.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
peeps

I would get the biggest Kettle you can afford but a minimum of a 22.5". It is versatile for smoking and grilling and will give you a good idea of what you might want down the road in a dedicated smoker, should you choose to get one.

I have used my 22.5" Kettle One Touch Gold for grilling and smokes of 12+ hours. This forum is a great resource for learning creative ways to utilize the Kettle for various cooking styles. If you can swing a 26.75" Kettle, I would just for the additional cooking space.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with all above...a WSM is a great start!
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
katman
Knows what a fatty is.

As noted above, budget, what you want to cook and for how many are considerations. I wouldn't recommend starting with a small stick burner. simply too much work and the inexpensive models take a lot of tending. You can learn a lot using a weber kettle. And, if you want to build it into a smoker something like the cajun bandit conversion is an excellent option. This arrangement would give you the ability to grill or smoke without making a sizable investment. The downside is limited capacity, but if you are cooking for only a few people this would not be a problem. If you move into a stick burner later I bet you will still use the kettle
katman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
RClark115
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
RClark115, you didn't mention how many people you are cooking for or what you budget is. Those are important things to know in making a recommendation.
Great question, I usually cook for 8 to 10, with seasonal spikes(holidays, Super Bowl, etc). Realistically trying to stay under 600
RClark115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
^Do this to start, or maybe a 26.75 OGT if your budget will allow it! You will learn they are very versatile, obviously direct grilling but also some great slow smoking, CI cooking and even pizzas all at a good entry price point. Once addicted, you can consider anything from a UDS/WSM to a stickburner (my personal favorite).

And welcome to the forum!
^this. I love my 26.75

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
16Adams

Default 600$$$$$ ????????

Amazon Free Shipping weber 26.75 $299.00
Pit Barrel Cooker Free Shipping. $269.00

They arrive at your doorstep and about as fast as you can light your lump you are cooking (I've never used Kibgsfird in my PBC)

Ok-someone will come and bash the Pit Barrel Cooker saying build it yourself,it's cheaper. Cheaper not always better.

Bottom line, if your budget is 600& buy the best that 600$ will buy.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #23
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

^^^ I like the "both" idea. You've got a set it and forget it smoker plus a large grill that can also be used for smoking, and you are still under budget to get a couple of covers for them.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
RClark115
Got Wood.

That being said, would it make sense to go with the 22.5 otg, so that the weber lid can substitute to the pbc? I have seen posts where the weber lid is necessary for certain applications.

Any value in going that direction?
RClark115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

Bro -

Good work on the proposal of your situation to the Brethren. I haven't been here long, but have been rewarded over and over again with great people and great suggestions. May I be so bold: look very seriously at the Big Green Egg. I started with an electric smoker myself and don't get me wrong, it was a great start to the world of slow cooking. It took about 2 posts and MANY hours of "hanging around" this forum before I realized what I was missing. I decided to commit to the art of slow cooking (because I did end up spending a good deal of $$ on the Egg) and have been rewarded over and over again with great food and very low maintenance. They are expensive, no question about that, but they are worth every penny.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

For $600, buy a 22" WSM and build a UDS. Now you have two toys and plenty of capacity.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I was in the same situation a little over a year ago...bought the 22 WSM added the IQ110 temp controller....there you go....fool proof smoking for under your budget.

I started with just the WSM....but with overnight cooks I never slept very well...added the IQ....set it and forget it. Also allows for easy temp change in the middle of the cook.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RClark115 View Post
Great question, I usually cook for 8 to 10, with seasonal spikes(holidays, Super Bowl, etc). Realistically trying to stay under 600
Thanks! That helps! I hate giving recommendations without the parameters

For $600 you have a few good options, and you can afford a combo of two if you want...

In no particular order...

22.5" WSM - give you plenty of capacity for you usual cooks and room to grow for those spikes. Add a controller if you want for peace of mind.

UDS - Same advantages as the WSM. You can go completely homebrew or use the Big Poppa kit as a starter.

PBC - Easy to use and can cook for 8-10, but it would be tight. May not handle the spikes as well, especially if you are cooking something that doesn't hand well.

26" Weber Kettle - Great for grilling and can be used for smoking with good results, but not as easy to use as the WSM or UDS, and the capacity is not as great.

Big Green Egg (and other Kamado type cookers) - The most versatile. Can grill at lava temps, bake and smoke. You would need a Large size at the least, so buying a new BGE is well over the $600 budget, but if you have patience you can find one on Craig's List. You could also look at one of the lower cost Kamado cookers that have come out recently. Cooking for 8-10 would be a challenge, however. You would need a second level grate at least.

So... My recommendation?

A 22.5" WSM and a 22.5" Kettle. That give you the best of both worlds and is under your budget, especially if you can find either on Craig's List.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Woah...slow down here folks. This is a first-timer. Starting off with $600 is not necessary. Not even in the ballpark. You want to go cheap, cheap, cheap. This is bbq, the sweet science of turning the lowest food, with the poorest equipment, into the most desired.

I recommend doing this. Get on Craigslist and find a kettle (preferably Weber) and a smoker that looks like (or is) a Weber Smoky Mountain. Then stop. That is all you need to get you started and I would go with the cheapest you can find, and this is why.

First, you may not enjoy this vice as much as another. (I know brethren...blasphemy! blasphemy!). $600 is a lot of fun on something else.

Second, if you can consistently put out quality food on these two cookers, you will be successful on just about anything.

Third, once you reach that consistent quality you are going to be hooked and that is when the hobby turns into a vice. You are going to want to give these away to a buddy (or keep them in your arsenal, I have given away my original smokers) and upgrade and that is where you start to spend the big money. Seriously...you will start to want to enter competitions and you will dream about a custom smoker that requires a pickup truck to haul.

A used kettle, and a used WSM (or knockoff). Those are the only tools you need to begin. These will be your sensei (Master Splinter). Once you learn from them you can (and will) go bigger.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
don24
Knows what a fatty is.

don't kill me guys but in my very limited experience in smoking im glad I started with a propane smoker. it allowed me to concentrate on the meat and the techniques needed and not worry about a constant temp or conditions. plus you can get a half way decent starter at wally world for under a 150 bucks. if you like smoking after a while your gonna be happy you saved a bit to buy, vac sealer ,brining tubs, meat slicer, injector, and if you happen to think about sausage. add grinder, stuffer, casings. save a few bucks at first and see if its really up your ally many beginners believe its a good idea to start smoking only to find it takes more time than they expected
don24 is offline   Reply With Quote