MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #421
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice lunch!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #422
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That lunch sure beat my PB&J sammiches.

I'd hold the GC's arse to the fire on this one.
No permit = delayed opening = loss of revenue = loss of full payment.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #423
Chris89Stang
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
See, I jinxed myself last night. Health inspector called and wanted to make sure the mechanical inspector approved the smoker installation. Mechanical inspector called and said he doesn't have a mechanical permit on file. Township called and confirmed they don't have one either. Talked to the contractor and he said it should be covered under the building permit. The township disagrees.

So now everyone is playing the blame game and trying to figure out WTF is going on.

It never fails.
I work for a mechanical contractor, we always have to pull our own permits and submit stamped and sealed drawings. The mechanical is not included in the building permit, at least not on the west side of the state (Michigan) where we primarily do our work. Whomever did your mechanical should have pulled a permit and your GC should have known that it was required and not under the building permit.

Good luck! I'm sure it will all work out when they don't get paid.
Chris89Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #424
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89Stang View Post
I work for a mechanical contractor, we always have to pull our own permits and submit stamped and sealed drawings. The mechanical is not included in the building permit, at least not on the west side of the state (Michigan) where we primarily do our work. Whomever did your mechanical should have pulled a permit and your GC should have known that it was required and not under the building permit.

Good luck! I'm sure it will all work out when they don't get paid.
Yeah, I looked up the permit paperwork after all this happened and it's the same here and you have to pull a separate mechanical permit. This GC has been in business since 1977 so you'd think he'd know that.

And of course, the electrician shows up a day early to hard wire the smoker. Just great, because it's not like I'm in the middle of cooking about 100 dollars worth of meat right now...
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #425
Diesel Dave

But the electrician is there, so that is a bonus with the way things have been going right?

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 11-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #426
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
But the electrician is there, so that is a bonus with the way things have been going right?
Yep, it wasn't too bad. Pit was turned off for about an hour while he worked, but it held temp nicely and didn't drop too much so hopefully I don't add much cook time and food will be ready by six still.

And I guess there's always good to balance the bad because I just hired my two cooks this afternoon. Couldn't have asked for more qualified candidates. One lady who has been the sous chef for a resort for years and used to manage a staff of 11 cooks, and a guy who lost his job at another BBQ joint in the area when they closed.

I was starting to grow concerned when the only applicants I had would either not show up for their interview, be convicted felons, or had absolutely no restaurant experience.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #427
Diesel Dave

Glad it all worked out for ya that way.
And awesome that you got a couple good cooks, that makes the difference in a sink or swim right there.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #428
landarc

Word of warning here, and I am glad you got two people on board just in time for opening. If you can, find out why the other place closed. If it was just time for the owners to shut down, that is fine. But, places that go out of business, often suffer from poor work and cooking habits. You want to make sure you are there, and see if there are any issues. A lot of restuarants shut down because the owner just doesn't pay enough attention to the details.

Now, send me some beef ribs

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #429
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Word of warning here, and I am glad you got two people on board just in time for opening. If you can, find out why the other place closed. If it was just time for the owners to shut down, that is fine. But, places that go out of business, often suffer from poor work and cooking habits. You want to make sure you are there, and see if there are any issues. A lot of restuarants shut down because the owner just doesn't pay enough attention to the details.

Now, send me some beef ribs
That was actually one of the first questions I asked. Apparently the owner had a stroke and died a few years ago, so it closed.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #430
wango

Been following your thread and can't wait to try your Q! My wife loves to go to the wineries in your neck of the woods, now I have a good reason to take her down there. Hope its a huge success for ya!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #431
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. As if opening a restaurant isn't tough enough, the stupid overreaching government makes it worse.

In a year or two, it'll barely be a memory

Old 11-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #432
Smoking Pill Doc
Knows what a fatty is.

Amazing thread, it has solidified my thoughts....I never want to open my own place.

Good luck getting through the final hurdles! I wish you and your family the best. I live no where near you, but when they become available, I would love to buy a t-shirt.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #433
BBQ-Jim

X2 on the tee shirts
BBQ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #434
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

After reading this whole thread and considering things that I've seen, I have to wonder is business for contractors so good that they can blow off customers like they seemingly do?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #435
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauvis View Post
After reading this whole thread and considering things that I've seen, I have to wonder is business for contractors so good that they can blow off customers like they seemingly do?
yes, and no.

On the yes side, there is a lot of work out there right now.

On the no side, it is not paying as well as it used to, so many of these guys book multiple jobs

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]