Moving from the UK to the San Francisco Bay area

funstuie

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hey all,

I havent posted in a while as I have just been very busy with work etc lately (although I do BBQ a lot still). Anyway my work is transferring myself and the family to San Francisco. We head over next month (pending house sale) and we will probably be looking to live in the Foster City/San Mateo area.

So I will be starting new with BBQ equipment seeing as I wont be bringing anything with me. Any tips on where to buy/look? I want to keep costs down but I was thinking of a Kamado type grill and a webber kettle from Craigs List (if I can work out how to find stuff on CL).

Also whats the bay area like for BBQ? I presume there is no restrictions on BBQ's?

The sky is the limit for BBQ, no need to worry about restrictions.

Eggs by the Bay is a great place for BGE's

Although we do have no burn days, a small loophole in the law buried in fine print allows for bbq's (At least charcoal bbq's...currently).

The sky is the limit for BBQ, no need to worry about restrictions.

I certainly would not say the sky is the limit for California.

I sold my stick burner a couple of years ago because I didn't want to get caught up in the "No wood fire" rules due to the large number of mandatory No burn days.

On No burn days, You can't even heat your house with a wood burning stove (The ONLY exception is if the stove is your sole source of heat). I own an EPA approved, low pollution stove with a catalytic converter. The consensus was, these expensive models would be acceptable....NOPE.

Hoping they do not pass regulation against burning charcoal or lump for bbq's, but who knows.

As Tortaboy said, there are no burn days, and I have concerns that they will someday extend to charcoal grills as well. I have to say, though, the the no burn days have greatly improved air quality in some areas. I think it is ridiculous that the catalytic converter stoves are banned as well, I heard they are clean enough.

I think that a Weber kettle will be easy enough to find on Craigslist, just think of it as a giant, unregulated flea market. Buyer beware and all, but, in the San Mateo/Foster City area, you will find a nice kettle right quick I bet.

Eggs by the Bay is a great store if you want a BGE and associated supplies, and Smitty has some excellent product lines. Personally, I buy most all of my BBQ stuff from Dave Bart in Livermore, closer for me. All the things you might have heard about California are true, doubly so on the side of the Bay you are moving to. The produce is rocking and year around, the variety and number of stores are outstanding, and whatever your income level is, they have a store that will take it all. :shock:

In terms of a lower cost Kamado-type cooker, they are hard to come by used around here. But, you can shop at Home Depot and get a decent one for a decent price. Hit me up with food questions, I got the area wired, more or less. If I don't know, I know someone who does.

Also, we are the NorCal Brethren, and we will soon start our planning for a NorCal Bash somewhere, we try to get together from time to time.

There's a used full size vision in Santa Cruz CL at the moment for $300. Kamados and huge smokers aren't as common around here. If you are interested in a Weber of any kind, let me know and I can get you hooked up.

Also, we are the NorCal Brethren, and we will soon start our planning for a NorCal Bash somewhere, we try to get together from time to time.

Hey, Bob. Can I get grandfathered in, so to speak?

If you have any sort of building/welding experience a UDS would be nice. A new WSM 22.5" costs $399.99 (ÂŁ233.11). You can probably find a weber grill 22.5" in great condition for under $75 on craigslist.

Edit: if you watch the premier league and/or champions league you will need a cable or satellite provider that carries NBC sports (and NBC affiliate channels) as well as Fox sports. Spanish league is carried by BeIn sports,and the german league is carried by gol tv. Premier league games start early (5:00 am).

Last edited:
Thanks guys for responding.

One thing for me about moving is being in the land of BBQ. How do I find out about these no burn days (it probably wont matter too much to me as I will be using charcoal most of the time)?

the clean air days(no burn) are announced on the tv news and in the newspapers, it really only covers wood stoves, wood burning fireplaces and rubbish piles for the most part,and also the commuting traffic, i dont have much of a problem with it, but i live in the far north bay and not in the urban areas you will be in, cameron

As Tortaboy said, there are no burn days, and I have concerns that they will someday extend to charcoal grills as well. I have to say, though, the the no burn days have greatly improved air quality in some areas. I think it is ridiculous that the catalytic converter stoves are banned as well, I heard they are clean enough.

I think that a Weber kettle will be easy enough to find on Craigslist, just think of it as a giant, unregulated flea market. Buyer beware and all, but, in the San Mateo/Foster City area, you will find a nice kettle right quick I bet.

Eggs by the Bay is a great store if you want a BGE and associated supplies, and Smitty has some excellent product lines. Personally, I buy most all of my BBQ stuff from Dave Bart in Livermore, closer for me. All the things you might have heard about California are true, doubly so on the side of the Bay you are moving to. The produce is rocking and year around, the variety and number of stores are outstanding, and whatever your income level is, they have a store that will take it all. :shock:

In terms of a lower cost Kamado-type cooker, they are hard to come by used around here. But, you can shop at Home Depot and get a decent one for a decent price. Hit me up with food questions, I got the area wired, more or less. If I don't know, I know someone who does.

Hey thanks for the response mate. Really good to have an "insider" in the area.

Not sure if you are moving to a house but if you are renting an apartment with a balcony most don't allow charcoal bbqs.

Back