Help with Rubs and Sauces

tish

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I haven't had experience with rubs at all, and very little with sauces. I know that lots of folks like both to be very hot and spicy. I enjoy hot and spicy, but have health issues that make it dangerous for me to indulge. :shock:

Can someone recommend rubs and sauces that are a lot more sweet with just a little bit of the spicy? My stomach sure would thank you for it. :wink:

Have you tried Sweet Baby Ray's? You can customize it for your taste, by adding a little cayenne pepper until you reach your comfort level. Any recipe you find here would be good also. Just adjust the seasoning to where you can tolerate it.

No, I haven't. But on your recommendation, I will. :thumb:

Simply Marvelous sweet spicy rub is a good one IMO it is not too spicy if you want even more sweet same company his Sweet Seduction. I myself I don't know of another sweet commercial rub.

If you are looking to make your own rub just make sure the sweet component plays biggest part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen the SM name bounced around here quite a bit. I think I'd like to try the sweet spicy rub first. I've got a whole set of sweet teeth, but I do long for a little of the spicy, too. Thank you, Eric! :-D

I highly recomend Simply marvelous Cherry and Spicey Apple rubs, I use it on about everything, popcorn, even a bit of the cherry on vanilla Ice cream once...yep...I did.
And Blues Hog for sauce.

Good luck!

Here's our simple homemade version.
1-cup ketchup
1/3-cup cider vinegar
2-tbl brown sugar
4-teas.Worcestershire sauce
2-tbl. honey
1-tbl. molasses
1/2 teas. gran. garlic
pinch or to taste of cayenne

heat till sugar melts and thin with apple juice

Hope this helps and it's cheaper and better than store bought. Good Luck

I always recommend Foil Hat Rub, created by our own Bigabyte. He posted the recipe to share with everyone ...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103989

I like it on just about everything, even my oatmeal and cup of coffee. It is my favorite and I make about a gallon of it at a time.

Also, for sauce, I also prefer sweet. I will cut Sweet Baby Rays with some sriracha.

091006sriracha.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Simply Marvelous rubs. You can even buy a sampler that has five different flavors, and the containers hold enough to last you a while. All that I've tried so far have been great. Even the spicy rubs on the list have a touch of bite, but nothing severe at all. And, if you do decide to make it hotter, just add some cayenne.

Tish, with the sweeter rubs and/or sauces, when smoking try as best you can to keep the temperatures under about 265, preferably in the 250 range. Otherwise sugars can burn.

With rubs, I suggest starting with a few over-the-counter ones before you go it alone. Note however that most are loaded with salt. I'm told that Simply Marvelous (above) are a bit lower on sodium than most. Another awesome starter rub would be Plowboy's Yardbird. The rub I make and compete with is similar in flavor to this only with less sodium.

With the sweeter sauces I highly suggest that you use them as a finishing sauce (ala. not grill it on there) and apply after smoking/grilling when hot. As earlier, this will prevent burning those sugars.

A very sweet and somewhat spicy sauce that we use as part of our sauces is Blues Hog Original.

Blues Hog Smokey Mountain sauce is really tasty, and a bit spicier than the original. As far as rubs go, it's hard to beat a good Santa Maria.

When it comes to a sweet rub with no heat, I think it is very hard to beat Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. I also agree with what Groundhog66 said about Santa Maria Style rub. That stuff is good on absolutely everything (meats, vegetables, eggs, etc.) I hear The Rub Company makes a damn good one too!:thumb:

Plowboys Yardbird Rub is amazing.

I have requested so many different brands for Christmas I can't even remember ... I know The Rub Co and Simply Marvelous were at the top of the list.

Back