MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
treymoran
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe Heavy Duty VS Bandera

Well, its time to finally lay the old Bandera to rest. She's all worn out...hinges are starting to break, bottom of the firebox is about gone, the lid on the firebox is pretty much gone. Ive had this thing forever. I looked as some old threads but wanted some current opinons on the Brinkman version (backwards as it is) of the Bandera. How does it measure up? I have made alot of good meat in the Bandera and I like the vertical chamber set up.
treymoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're thread title indicates the BKSD is available in a Heavy Duty model?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I'd start looking on CL for a used NBBD. There are still some out there in reasonable cond.

Last I looked the Brinkman was $479. I paid $300 for mine, did a few mods and it's lookin good!

I don't know any store that stocks them, but looking at the off sets in Lowe's they are thin but might not be that bad. And I don't know where else you can find a Bandera for that kind of money.

Good luck

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
treymoran

I've tried to find a Bandera locally on craigslist. I went and looked at 3 so far....all are in the same shape as mine. As far as the "Heavy Duty" descriptior...thats how it's listed on the Brinkman site. I don't mind payin the 479 if its going last me close to what the Bandera did.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
treymoran

I have ordered the Brinkmann...they discounted it enough to cover tax & shipping so the final tally was a few bucks less than the list price. I'm going to do a couple mods, season it and maybe throw some babybacks this weekend. Anyone need a Bandera for parts? Smoke chamber is in great shape. Firebox has a busted (rusted) hinge, the base is about gone. was gonna cost me 150 to get it media blasted but I decided to go new.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Is the Bandera a New Braunfels? I it is I would like the LOGO plate if you have one. Shiipping for the rest would probably be too much to be worth it.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymoran View Post
I've tried to find a Bandera locally on craigslist. I went and looked at 3 so far....all are in the same shape as mine. As far as the "Heavy Duty" descriptior...thats how it's listed on the Brinkman site. I don't mind payin the 479 if its going last me close to what the Bandera did.
Try google & then ebay.
The Cajun Bandit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
treymoran

Jim, I actually never put the logo plate on. It's still in the plastic wrapper somewhere in one of my toolboxes. If I find it its yours....or maybe I should take of the Brinkmann logo and put on the New Braunsfels....lol

Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Jim, I actually never put the logo plate on. It's still in the plastic wrapper somewhere in one of my toolboxes. If I find it its yours....or maybe I should take of the Brinkmann logo and put on the New Braunsfels....lol
That would not be right, you might mislead some poor soul. Hope you find it so it can go on an original NB.

Thanks

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 05-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Well, its time to finally lay the old Bandera to rest. She's all worn out...hinges are starting to break, bottom of the firebox is about gone, the lid on the firebox is pretty much gone. Ive had this thing forever. I looked as some old threads but wanted some current opinons on the Brinkman version (backwards as it is) of the Bandera. How does it measure up? I have made alot of good meat in the Bandera and I like the vertical chamber set up.
Tred,

If I read your post correctly, you like the Dera, but have just worn yours out.

Well, there is a really nice Dera only 60 miles or so from you for $125.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=84505

Easy.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
treymoran

Kapn, as tempting as that Dera is I am curious to try the Brinkmann (plus I had already ordered it...oops!). The one in the thread looks like mine did about 5 years ago. Burned many a long fire in it since then. The new one should be in this week. Looking forward to modding it as I put it together, seasoning and maybe filling it with baby backs this weekend. Yum!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

The only thing heavy duty about the Smoke`N Pit Smoke King Deluxe Heavy-Duty Charcoal/Wood Smoker & Grill is the price. Its made of the same thin stuff the horizontal offsets are. It will work fine after some mods. Congrats on your new cooker!

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
treymoran

Well, upon first inspection the metal seems to be pretty much the same guage/thickness as my old Bandera..so points there. I had forgotten how fun it is just opening the box. I am liking this one so far.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck with your new cooker.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Well, upon first inspection the metal seems to be pretty much the same guage/thickness as my old Bandera..so points there. I had forgotten how fun it is just opening the box. I am liking this one so far.
No pic's-you are just dreaming
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote