BBQ benevolence day

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Had plans today to make some Brunswick stew for the family. Well I woke up at 6am with an urge to smoke some 'que too. Decided to put an open invitation out on Facebook that I would be firing my pit up and anyone that wanted some bbq was free to drop their meat off and I'd cook it for them, no charge. I got a couple of takers and figured I'd post some pron for you guys to see. I haven't been active on the forum for a few years, life is slowing down and I'm 'que'n more and more, so hopefully we'll see more of each other.

Base for the stew simmering: Chopped potatoes, chopped onion, and corn all in chicken broth
IMAG1139.jpg

Once after about 20 minutes stir in the spices (w sauce, hotsauce, pepper, garlic, butta)
IMAG1140.jpg

Add tomatoes, butter beans, chicken and a few other things, cook down and the end product looks like this:
IMAG1141.jpg

Now on to the meat. I am cooking a small pork loin for a friend, a Boston Butt for my mom, and one for myself as well:
IMAG1142.jpg

Bought the Butts at a different store and got a lot better pork than I'm used to.

IMAG1143.jpg

Pork Loin
IMAG1145.jpg

IMAG1146.jpg

IMAG1144.jpg

Pit rolling along at 225, using Hickory and a little KB

IMAG1149.jpg

IMAG1147.jpg

IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1150.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

The butts are starting to weep,
IMAG1153.jpg

After a few hours I have the temp cranked up to 275 where the loin is and around 250 at the end with the butts on.

Hope your saturday's rocking along!

Belle Foods in the pelham/alabaster area on HWY 31. Found out today that their butts will go on .99lb sale this wednesday.

Oh and Roll Tide!

Better check that loin, if it's been in there for a couple hours, it's probably done. 140 for lean pork.

Looks great BTW.

I like my loins at 150, but these folks requested it even more done, took it off at 160 on the dot. Heard back from them just a while ago and they said they loved it, so it all ends well.

The butts are about to break through the plateau, they have great color right now, debating finishing them off in the oven to preserve the awesome color. (didn't show up that well in the pictures)

Here are some progress pics for you fellas.

IMAG1155.jpg

IMAG1156.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

I like my loins at 150, but these folks requested it even more done, took it off at 160 on the dot. Heard back from them just a while ago and they said they loved it, so it all ends well.

It probably helped that the loin was enhanced with 16% solution. But remember they keep cooking after you take them off, that's why I said 140, after the rest they'll be in mid to upper 140s, maybe over 150 if wrapped in foil. A lot of people don't know that the new safe temp for pork is 145, not 160 like the old days.

The butts look fantastic, I'll take a vac bag full please!

Back