Fake country style ribs/pork steaks

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I am planning to do about 15-20lbs of country style ribs for Super Bowl Sunday. Problem is, we don't have true country style ribs around here. What we have is more of what people refer to on here as pork steaks (sliced up pork butt). I don't really care that they're not true country style ribs because I can get a lot of them for close to nothing and that's music to my ears. My problem is how long to cook them? Now I have made these a couple times before but I never wrote down for how long and at what temp?

I plan to cook them up like ribs (dry rubbed/foiled/sauced). I almost always cook at 250-275 regardless of what I'm making. So i'm not concerned really about temp. I just don't know how long to cook them for. They are normally about an inch thick I that helps at all.

I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide me with.

I have had the worst luck with these, the CSR that a chunks of pork butt are easy. All I ever get out of pork steaks is dried up pork.

perhaps try brining them first? thats what I do when I get those really cheap thin cut pork steaks. a simple brine and then on the fire. they turn out amazing for such a cheap meal. i would guess that smoking them instead of grilling would get a bit hammy but should be really nice.

I cook my bone in cs ribs at 250 degrees. 4 to 5 hours tops. I love them probe tender.

There was a thread last week about these, "St Louis Q by a real St Louian" or something to that effect.
Several posters mentioned braising in sauce after a couple hours in the smoke. Maybe that would help Br. Landarc with his dryness issue.

if you want them to stay together.. i would go 2 hours of smoke.. 1 foiled.. then 30 min sauced out on the grate.. if you want them falling apart.. foil with apple juice.. for 2 hours then sauce and on the grate for 1 hour.. to render all the fat out.. and make them fall apart.. either way is Good Eats!!

Mine never really dried out. I mean maybe some of the smaller ones did, but not that bad. I'm going go 3hrs and see where that takes me and then ill just check em every 30 minutes till they're done.

So I am planning to do about 15-20lbs of country style ribs for Super Bowl Sunday. Problem is, we don't have true country style ribs around here. What we have is more of what people refer to on here as pork steaks (sliced up pork butt). I don't really care that they're not true country style ribs because I can get a lot of them for close to nothing and that's music to my ears. My problem is how long to cook them? Now I have made these a couple times before but I never wrote down for how long and at what temp?

I plan to cook them up like ribs (dry rubbed/foiled/sauced). I almost always cook at 250-275 regardless of what I'm making. So i'm not concerned really about temp. I just don't know how long to cook them for. They are normally about an inch thick I that helps at all.

I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide me with.

Country style ribs are usually cut from the end of the loin and can dry out quicker because the meat is dense and not marbled. however your pork steaks will have good marbling for cooking at 250° - 275° as you indicated.

I think your best bet is Patio Daddio's true and tried recipe.....
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2012/09/st-louis-pork-steaks.html

sounds like you need to start keeping a log book for reference.

9fab3de1.jpg

I think pork steaks are one of the easiest things to cook. I'll even eat them for breakfast... :biggrin1: I recommend them to a lot of folks for their first cook.

DSC06130JPGa.jpg

I prefer them a little thicker than really thin, but other than that... low pit temps or upwards of 300 degrees, sauce and foil if you like 'em that way. You can oil them, marinate them, use a slather or just straight rub.

DSC05184JPGa.jpg

DSC06773JPGa.jpg

DSC04587a.jpg

DSC02753a.jpg

6fc6c1a8.jpg

Here is a marinade recipe that Juggy D. Beerman turned me on to that is worth looking at....

Yo thirdeye,

Here is my marinade recipe that I use for rib tips and pork steaks. Because of the sugars in the marinade, you will have to keep the fire no higher than 250ºF at grate level. I cook indirect too. Since you only cooking two steaks, you might want to halve this recipe. Or you can freeze what you don't use and save it for another time.

Uncle Chuck Bob's Piggy Parts Marinade:
1 - 16 oz bottle Sweet and Spicy French Dressing
2 Cups - Apple Juice
1 - 12 Ounce Can Cherry Cola
1 Cup - Lemon Juice
1 Cup - Woeber's Sweet and Spicy Mustard
1/4 Cup - Hot Sauce (Your Choice)
1/4 Cup - BBQ Rub (Your Choice)

That marinade is also fairly acidic. Four to six hours works for pork steaks and no more than 12 hours for rib tips. I use a real light coating of sauce at the end. Maull's for the steaks and my rib sauce for the rib tips and riblets.

Lager,

Juggy

Back