MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Default Serious Discussion....

looking to replace my older weber gold series . Looking for left to right zones, prefer not to have the side burner. Using propane. Is weber still the cadillac of grills? I see they are approaching a grand each. What are you using and what do you like and dislike. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

I wanted left to right versus Weber's back and front. Thats why I didnt get a Weber. Now I think the higher end Summit Weber's are left to right, but I wasn't spending 1k-2k on a gasser I rarely use. I have a Perfect Flame that I got at Lowes. I am happy with what I use it for. It has 5 burners and can get hot enough to cook steaks and works great for lots of hamburgers for parties. Its been through hell and I dont take care of it like my other cookers and it has held up for the last 5 years. It is similar to this one.
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure Weber was the "cadillac of grills", but they are nice. You have a good budget, these are one of the best you can get:

http://www.lynxgrills.com

Enjoy.
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

I looked at gassers early this spring and was really disappointed from a quality standpoint. Have an old decrepit Sunbeam with side by side burners. One thing I always liked about it was both the base and lid were cast aluminum so it held heat well. Cooking grates are 3/8" welded steel rod, and you could get them red hot for a good sear.

Now, I'll admit I didn't look at Weber's. But of those I did look at, I saw thin bases, flimsy painted sheet metal lids on the low to mid range and then lots of ill-fitting shiny stainless steel. Wife called them "patio bling"; to impress the neighbors and friends. About the only one I took a second look at were the Char-Grillers.

I'm still using the Sunbeam, and cruising CL for an older gasser that I can clean up and restore with new grates and burners.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Yak, I do not have anything very nice, and I do NOT want to take this off topic, since that is the point of the title, but my buddy has a Lynx set up like the Snoqual referenced which is very nice, but my tiny exposure to high end grills makes me remember the infra-red rotisserie on Phil's grill.

That is one sweet add on.

Good luck with your search

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote