Got the 10# back loin completed, with a problem..pron

HARRYSTOWN

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Started with a 9.7# Back Loin from Sam's Club. Cut it in half. Put the thicker half of it last night in a brine of Apple Juice, Cider vinegar, brown sugar and salt. It sat in brine overnight for about 12 1/2 hours. ( Brine penetrated about half way through the meat at 12 1/2 hours) After Brine it was rubbed with MCormick Pork Rub. The other half was the narrow end and it was not brined but covered in Guldens dark Brown mustard and the a heavy coat of black Pepper.
Stoked up the UDS with about 8 lbs of Store Brand Mesquite briquettes and a couple apple wood hunk. I thought I would add a apple juice pan to this one. After about a hour I'm concerned about low temps 170-200, never cooked with a water pan before, so I decided to ramp it up and remove pan and rise temp to my experience level of 225-250. Got it there pretty quick after about a hour temp went too high. I started second geussing myself and put the juice pan back on the lower grate.and had a few errands to run. My first couple UDS cooks went without a hitch so I thought it was idiot proof. It is except it proved I'm the idiot. Came back after about 3 hours, loins had been on for a total of 5 hours. Panicked a little when I saw thermo. Bottom grate was at about 250. Top Grate was around 170* Temp of larger brined loin was right at 142*, It looked perfect.Glazed and pulled it off fire. Smaller loin was not looking well. It was dried out around the perimeters and the center was a white gooey mess of fat. It was measuring 120*. I though I may have ruined the small one. I thought I would see how it finished even though I was iffy about eating it. 2 Hours later for a total of 7 hours it was 140- 150 everywhere but in one small area in the narrow end of the loin. I thought it weird that the rest of it was drying out and there was a area about the size of a penny that would not get past 130*, even after another 30 minutes in a 300* oven! I decided I wasnt gonna eat the small one but wanted to see what was in the small aera. Opened her up and found a small globby area of fat that looked undercooked.. Anyway
donated it to the trash bin.The other one turned out pretty darn good,
Sorry for the Long version...
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

Last edited:
Could it have been too much mustard over that area that hindered it from cooking??

Back