Smoked Ham

sirthames

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brethren, I am due to smoke a ham for the women's conference at my church on the 29th. I have read up on some things but it all ends up being pulled pork. Don't want that. Any suggestions? Should I reduce the cooking time from 7-8 hrs down to about 5-6 maybe? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Willkat98, I can always count on you. You are a wealth of information man. Thanks.

I have an easier method that everyone just loves. I take one of those store bought, cured, 1/2 hams (I prefere the butt) and smoke it for 4-5 hours at 225. Then I remove it, put it in a pan, do the cross cut thingie, and then baste it with the pinnaple/sugar syrup mix and put it in the oven for about another hour. In other words, my wife and I combined the way we cook ham for an even better result.

Ok Bigdog, I feel you on that one. I was going to use my offset cooker to smoke it with. I guess the oven can be the finisher. Pineapple/syrup, is that brown syryup?

If you have a water pan in your offset, try filling with apple or pineapple juice when doing hams. I prefer to cook the bone in hams as the have a better fat content and won't dry out as much. Spray like you would any other cook, and preferably use a fruit wood.

Be sure to save that ham bone for some delicious pea soup!!:cool:

sirthames said:
Ok Bigdog, I feel you on that one. I was going to use my offset cooker to smoke it with. I guess the oven can be the finisher. Pineapple/syrup, is that brown syryup?
We use brown sugar, pinnaple juice, and corn syrup. And the oven is only for finishing at 350 to carmalize the glaze.

Solidkick said:
If you have a water pan in your offset, try filling with apple or pineapple juice when doing hams. I prefer to cook the bone in hams as the have a better fat content and won't dry out as much. Spray like you would any other cook, and preferably use a fruit wood.
Interesting idea about the water pan. For wood, I use 80% hickory, 10% mesquite and 10% cherry.

Back