Traeger Jr Brisket

plakers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Long story long, father-in-law finds an open box Traeger at a garage sale.
Before my UDS build I had dreamt of a Traeger. I joked I would buy it off him for 20 bucks more then he paid.
I think he was afraid to put it together, and I found a couple of pieces missing so he sold it to me.

I told him he had one week to return the money and I would return to him the Jr. That way I'd get to try it out.

Then I found this marked down packer at WallyWorld
BRISKYMAY2013002800x600_zps62aaea5f.jpg

So I test fired the Traeger, found it to be in working order, trimmed the brisky the night before and tossed the 11 pounder, by now, onto the Jr at 5am, prior to leaving for work.
BRISKYMAY2013005800x600_zps59701564.jpg

A giant leap of faith, I took off to work. Left behind instructions for wife to deal with it after she got home.
BRISKYMAY2013007800x600_zpsd226b13d.jpg

Well she found it 7.5 hours later, brisket IT at 168, so she foiled it and put it back on until IT at 195.
She then coolered it until I got home.
I cleaned up, found a coworker had stuffed a Guinness in my lunch box, and sliced the flat

BRISKYMAY2013008800x600_zpscc1651c4.jpg

Sliced great, pulled with little or no give, plated up nicely
BRISKYMAY2013009800x600_zps7de6381a.jpg

BRISKYMAY2013010800x600_zps64cb7d55.jpg

A few things I learned.
Wife loves the Traeger("That I can do")
Best brisket(out of five) I have ever done
I don't need it in my arsenal, but I do want it
I'm splurging for the digital controller if I get to keep it

In the infamous words of Ron Popeil "set it and forget it." Nice of the wifey to pitch in. Good luck to her dad trying to get it back now.:boxing: The brisket looks great.

In the infamous words of Ron Popeil "set it and forget it." Nice of the wifey to pitch in. Good luck to her dad trying to get it back now.:boxing: The brisket looks great.

In laws don't have much and I've been searching for a good used gasser for them(last one deteriorated). I thought the Traeger would be great for them until I cooked burgers on them. No complaints from the crowd but every other apparatus I have would have done burgers and dogs better. As stingy as the Jr is on pellets for the "smoke" setting it devours them on the higher settings.

Either way that's my story. FIL was shocked by the price of pellets. Maybe he forgets that I usually fill his gas bottle for him.

I want to hear more about this coworker that stuffs Guinness i your lunch box.

I want to hear more about this coworker that stuffs Guinness i your lunch box.

Our shifts complement each other, we rotate night and days, and at the end of our second day week(which falls on Friday) we often reward the other guy for putting up with all the companies BS and surviving for another day. He's a Guinness man, I usually give out some local IPA. Its really a fun tradition.

Yes we're breaking some rule somewhere but nothing gets drank on company property. That's the beauty of working for a smaller company.

I'm splurging for the digital controller if I get to keep it

I highly recommend the digital controller. I put one on my lil' Tex a couple of months ago and am really happy with its performance.

I know us pellet smokers catch crap from the bbq crowd, but it is argue with the results sometimes. I have the Texas and I really enjoy burgers and dogs on it. The fat that falls off the burgers and sizzles on the grease tray leaves a very nice flavor on the burgers that I enjoy. The digital controller really amps up the use of the Traeger. I have tried one of the more expensive and better built pellet smokers, and I went back to the Traeger. I think it does a better job on the cooking.

I have a UDS and use the treager exclusively , it cooks so nice and holds temp with the digi controller , so I can sleep through the night , burgers and dogs get cooked on charcoal , or in a pinch the weber gas , its so nice having options

I had the Treager lil tex for years loved it just gave it to my brother inlaw and bought a Green Mountain Jim Bowie love my pellet poopers!!!!!!!

I know us pellet smokers catch crap from the bbq crowd, but it is argue with the results sometimes. I have the Texas and I really enjoy burgers and dogs on it. The fat that falls off the burgers and sizzles on the grease tray leaves a very nice flavor on the burgers that I enjoy. The digital controller really amps up the use of the Traeger. I have tried one of the more expensive and better built pellet smokers, and I went back to the Traeger. I think it does a better job on the cooking.

I've never had a pellet pooper, but I would never disparage one either. I can make good Que with my kettle, I can make good que with my Cajun Bandit, I can make good Que with Redhot's Akorn and I can make good Que on my el cheapo modded GOSM. If I had a PP I'm sure I could make good Que with that too. :grin:

Question for the OP. Does that thing have an exhaust vent? Hard to tell from the pics. Nice briskie!

Nice score! I too found my traeger @ garage sale. Paid $20 for it, cleared the pelletcrete from the auger tube, replace the hot rod and controller with spares I had, runs like a champ. My dad cooks on it like every weekend.

That's awesome, dude. Total respect for the Traeger. My best friend got one and it's made the best ribs I've still ever had. I cook ribs all the time and I still can't get them to exactly how he made them on the traeger.

Back