Chuck roasts?

ricksegers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A local store has boneless chuck roasts for a pretty good price. They appear to have good marbling. I was wondering if you could do this instead of a brisket? Should take a lot less time if the quality is there. I seem to remember a discussion of this but can't find it here or the old place.

Rick :?:

You can do 'em but you will have to "pull" them since they don't slice well even if oven cooked. Marinate them and go for it -- give them a good long cook so the connective tissues break down well.

I love to do these, we call them super-steaks. First I tenderize them and the add a lot of rub. Then put them ovet the fire to sear the things. Put in the smoke chamber and slow smoke them till done. We don't slice them. We cut them into big chunks that people can slice and eat like steak. The also cook in just a few hours. If you are in a real hurry then do it all on a low heat enclosed grill (like a weber kettle). If you grill them then you can cover the rest of the grill with veggies for the last 15 minutes to add some extra flavor to the meal. Squash, tomatos, onions and peppers work great. If you use carrots or corn then allow them a little longer to cook. Sometimes I fix the veggies over the fire while the super-steak is finishing off in the smoker. We sometimes fix a couple of these when I am smoking a large cut of meat that will take a long time to cook.

Back